Vectrix VX-1 HID Bi-Xenon Headlight Conversion

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
martinwinlow
Vectrix VX-1 HID Bi-Xenon Headlight Conversion

This is a quick guide to converting your Vectrix headlamp to HID. In my view the standard headlight is pants and replacing the 'standard' (it isn't) H4 bulb with a higher wattage one will probably fry the DC DC converter or other parts of the electrics. HID bulbs typically run at around 35W which is what the standard Vectrix bulb is rated at so it doesn't use more power and is twice as bright. Standard H4, dual element (main & dipped beams) bulbs a rated at 60W per filament. There are variations that use more or less power with varying amounts of light output (lumens or candela) and at differing colour temperatures (light colour).

You need the 'Bi'-type of HID kit which provides high and low (dipped) beams in one package. The dipping is usually achieved by a small integrated solenoid pulling a shroud in and out of the way of the HID bulb light output to alter the way the light is distributed.

I found a suitable HID kit on eBay for around UK£45 which satisfies my main 2 criteria - 1/ it has no direct connection to the battery and so just connects to the existing H4, 3-prong bulb connector making fitting MUCH easier. 2/ The turn-on current draw is only 5.4A (cold) and this drops to 3.5A running.

The bottom line is you get a very bright and effective light for the same power drain as the standard bulb.

In order to avoid any issues though, I recommend not having the brake light on when you start the bike as the brake light is probably the biggest current draw on the DC/DC converter other than the head light itself. Other Vectrix owners have suggested a link between fitting HID lights and the rear stop light failing (see other posts for more on this).

Two thing to note:- if you use the 'both headlight filaments on at once' Easter Egg facility all you will get is a dipped beam all the time. So, I recommend you don’t use it. It is pointless anyway.

Second, you will get a flashing warning light on the dash (blue for main beam and green for dipped) with the HID lamp fitted. This is something to do with the Vectrix thinking the head light bulb is defective. Quite why you would need a warning light anyway is beyond me. After all, you've only got the one headlight. If it isn't working it's going to be pretty obvious, no (unlike a car)?

Anyway, onwards and upwards...

Tools required:

Metric socket set (1/4 inch or 3/8" drive) - particularly 10 and 13mm sockets.
Phillips No2 screwdriver.
6mm flat bladed screwdriver.
Small pair of tin snips or similar.
Fine (2mm) indelible black felt tip pen.
Pair of pliers.
20mm (3/4") Jubilee-type hose clip (or similar - see Pic 8)

So, the kit I bought (from eBay seller 'gps-ppc' - enormous feedback - nearly 50k @ 99.7%) comes in a nondescript box containing 3 smaller ones containing - HID bulb, wiring loom, ballast + plastic ties and instructions

The instructions are a bit superfluous but read them anyway. DO NOT touch the glass bit of the HID bulb as the oil from your fingers will ruin the thing. It is quite hard to do this as it is nearly all covered by a metal (dipped beam) shroud - more on this later.

Find somewhere dry, rigid and away from other wires and circuitry (we don't want the relatively high EMF from the ballast to upset the CANBUS etc) to mount the ballast. This is the big square thing. I sandwiched a piece of rubber foam between the ballast and the mount to help it sit better and avoid too much high shock vibration. Use at least 2 of the plastic ties to mount the ballast and pull them tight! Ideally put another at right-angles to the first 2 to stop the ballast from sliding out as the ties slacken with age/vibration.

Connect the loom to the ballast and move on to fitting the HID bulb.

This is a bit fiddly but not difficult for anyone with modest DIY skills and basic tools (see above).

vectrix HID1.JPG

Pic 1 shows the existing H4 bulb in place. 'B' shows the non-standard tags that are punched through the bulb shroud which engage in the mating indent in the head-lamp unit. This (and the other one to the left) locate the bulb and appear to provide a slight non-vertical alignment of the dipped beam - to the left. LHD Vectrixes (ones that drive on the right-hand side of the road, I mean!) will probably have this reversed. I have also marked the position of the RH tag on the headlamp body above so that when I replace the standard bulb with the HID replacement I can transfer the mark to the HID shroud for cutting.

'A' shows marks I have made with a fine indelible pen on the head-lamp unit matching the location of the standard H4 bulb shroud tab - these are not used in the Vectrix - for some inexplicable reason (probably because they are different power ratings).

Next, remove the existing bulb and insert the HID one …

vectrix HID2.JPG

So, in Pic 2 you can see that I have positioned the HID bulb shroud tab by the marks 'A' and marked the position of the new tag I need to cut at 'B'.

Next, we need to cut the new tag…

vectrix HID3.JPG

In Pic 3 you can see a pair of tin snips aligned along one side of the new tab cutting it. The cut needs to be about 4-5mm deep. A second cut is made on the left side of the mark leaving a tab about 2mm wide. This is then bent down (away from the base - toward the bulb) gently with a flat bladed screwdriver (or a pair of fine needle-nosed pliers if you have them).

vectrix HID4.JPG

Pic 4 - You should end up with this (circled)…

vectrix HID5.JPG

Try it in place in the head lamp unit… The new tab is engaged properly and the shroud tab still aligns with the marks made earlier. If you want to be really thorough, you could cut two tags to match the original. If the bulb clip were more flimsy I would have done this but it is quite strong, so...

vectrix HID6.JPG

Next (Pic 6) we have to alter the spring clip a bit to fit the much bigger HID body.

1/ Splay the 2 sides of the clip by about 6-8mm - it is not critical.

2/ Bend out the clip at 'A' by about 30 degrees and at 'B' about the same. This is a bit difficult to indicate but you will get the idea of what is needed when you try to clip to HID bulb in place.

All this allows the existing clip to work without cutting it.

vectrix HID7.JPG

This (Pic 7) is how it needs to look.

vectrix HID8.JPG

You will need a screwdriver (or similar) to engage the clip with the HID bulb in situ as there is no room anymore to get your finger in there. The clip needs to just hold the bulb in place - it is not a precision job! Just try to avoid having the clip bear on the plastic body of the HID bulb base - it really should only be clamping the metal bulb shroud.

vectrix HID9a.jpg

Invert the 'cone' of the rubber cover (Pic 9), pass the 3 wires through the cone and clamp it to avoid water getting in. It will be high enough up from the wheel to avoid getting wet from puddles and rain generally but the drier it is in there the better. I have used a jubilee-type clip - anything non perishable would do - a piece of solid copper wire etc.

Connect the 3 wires from the HID bulb to the ballast using the loom and re-assemble the head lamp. Don’t forget to insert the running lamp.

NOTE:! Please have consideration for your fellow motorists (and don't brake the law!) by ensuring that the angle of the dipped beam does not dazzle other vehicles= drivers/riders either in front of you via the rear view mirrors or coming toward you directly. Utilise a friend in a car to achieve this if necessary.

Lastly, keep your head light glass clean, as a build up of grime causes the light to be diffused in all directions again causing the HID light to dazzle other motorists.

That should be it!

Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092
www.winlow.co.uk

ofx210p
Re: Vectrix VX-1 HID Bi-Xenon Headlight Conversion

Very impressive - great work thanks.

Any idea of links to the ebay versions that might be suitable ?

martinwinlow

ofx210p - If you do a search on eBay for the seller I quoted you should find the kit I bought. It is my impression that the kits sold on eBay change so regularly that it is unlikely that, over a period of time, the same kit will be sold by the same seller with the same auction title, let alone the same link. But here is mine anyway...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220511471667&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

A couple of things I forgot to put in the first post (shame one can't edit posts like you can on other forums!!!).

To get the head light out, it is only necessary to do the following:-

vectrix HID10.jpg

1/ Remove the 2 'louvers' as Vectrix calls them - the black vent-looking plastic pieces on each side of the headlamp unit (HLU) by removing the 4 phillips screws marked '1' in the picture (from the Vectrix manual) above...

vectrix HID11.jpg

Remove the 4 x 5mm hex drive windscreen screws ('1' in the diagram above) and 'console top cover' beneath - it just un-clips. Remove the steel-backed cork windscreen mounting washers or you will lose them.

vectrix HID12.jpg

Remove the 4 x 10mm hex head coach screws clamping the head light unit in place - The diagram above only shows 2 on the RHS of the machine. Obviously, all 4 must be removed. Note how this works as the screw does NOT go through the holes in the HLU - it really is 'clamped' into place.

vectrix HID13.jpg

Loosen the fairing bolt '2' in the diagram above on the RHS ONLY. You shouldn't need to remove it completely but if you do, catch the shims that are under the bolt. Leave the RHS one alone.

This should allow you to pry the RHS fairing out enough to remove the HLU and disconnect the headlight connector and running light bulb from the HLU and you are ready to continue with the HID installation.

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

Mik
Mik's picture

Great post, thank you for the effort to publish it!

I used a HID light kit that did not require any cutting of the globe holding mechanism.

I have removed this thread from the "Vectrix Collaborative Handbook", because the pictures in the last post might be copy-right protected. I don't want any trouble.

If you write a new post (copy and paste) and start it as a page in the "Collaborative Handbook", then you can edit it as often and as long as you like. To do this, click on "Add child page" on this page: http://visforvoltage.org/book/ev-collaborative-hand-books/6858

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

martinwinlow

Thanks Mik - I'll do that when I have found some of my photos to use to replace the drawings in my last post.

How did you lock the H4 bulb in place without modifying its base? I got the impression the original bulb is a special for Vectrix or is it a common motorcycle variant of the H4?

MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
evalbum.com/2092

Mik
Mik's picture

Thanks Mik - I'll do that when I have found some of my photos to use to replace the drawings in my last post.

How did you lock the H4 bulb in place without modifying its base? I got the impression the original bulb is a special for Vectrix or is it a common motorcycle variant of the H4?

MW

I don't really know if the globe is special, but the link to the HID kit I used still works in this post: http://visforvoltage.org/book/ev-collaborative-hand-books/7043

Noteworthy is that the first globe has stopped working and the replacement globe came in very handy (I bought a car set with 2 globes and an additional bike adapter).

I think it's best to wait until the HID light has fully "ignited" before touching the break levers to get into "READY", to protect the rear light from burning out.

Seiermann

Hello Martin,
does your conversion still works fine? Without any probs?
I´m actually thinking about this conversion but I don´t want to damage the controller/ taillamp or my headlamp to be melted...
Thx
Seiermann

tt-tronix
tt-tronix's picture

@Seiermann:
But you may not want to loose your insurance, too ;-)

martinwinlow

60 miles and still working... MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
evalbum.com/2092

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

I think it's best to wait until the HID light has fully "ignited" before touching the break levers to get into "READY", to protect the rear light from burning out.

On your bike also the fans are running as you turn on the bike I guess (the Laird firmware?). Does that take from the same supply as the lights?
If so, that would mean regular users have a bit more headroom on the 12V circuit.

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

martinwinlow

Hi KingCharles (and everyone else FTM),

I never got around to installing the Laird's software and now that my V has the new Runke charger, it isn't compatible (yet!). So, no, no fans at switch on. The only issue I have had so far is getting a yellow spanner (wrench) warning light and a 'no tS' fault coming home last night which didn't cause any performance issues (maybe a slight power hiccough - but it was a wet, windy, rough-old ride at the time and hard to tell) and cleared with the usual cycling of the ignition.

Aside from that, I have tried to eliminate the flashing low and high beam warning lights to no avail. I read up on other vehicle's solution - mainly involving using a resistor (10 to 1000 ohms appropriately rated) in parallel with the original H4 bulb contacts but it made no difference - either introducing them with the ignition and light already on as well as when off and then switching on... one at at time and both at a time.

I also tried using a 10W filament bulb instead of the resistors - again, no joy. So I expect I shall just stick a piece of black insulation tape or something equally removable over the low beam light and put up with the flashing high beam warning light. At least it is blue and therefore not as distracting as the green low beam warning light is - too close to the (same) green coloured indicator light.

Also, my description in my original post re how the high/low transition is achieved in my particular HID bulb was incorrect. The stem holding the glass bead containing the discharge lamp is mechanically extended 6mm or so from the bulb base to achieve high beam. The disadvantage of this is that it allows the stem to wobble about vertically a bit causing the high beam to 'shake'. Not much but significantly. It does not affect its use though.

I also got around to altering the angle of the beam and have found its ideal position - that which does not cause dazzling issues for other road users on low beam but which project sufficiently ahead to be useful and which projects the high beam straight down the road. It is a huge improvement on the standard bulb. I'll try to get a picture of how well it picks out street furniture etc soon. Unfortunately I won't have a comparison photo from the original head light. MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
evalbum.com/2092

martinwinlow

An update 300 miles later... HID headlight still working fine with no issues. Couple of pics of the beam - I didn't fancy doing it in the middle of the road but I think you get some idea of the improvement...

Dipped beam...

IMG_1531.jpg

Main beam...

IMG_1530.jpg

Regards, Martin Winlow
evalbum.com/2092

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Lovely!!

My eRider scooter had 2x 35w halogen bulbs and they were bad. I made the switch to 2x35w HID bi-xenon's 27 November 2011 and haven't had a single problem. BUT in measuring the current and power the HID's draw around 100 Watts EACH when first fired up and as they get brighter that figure settles down to 38 to 40w each. The startup current on the HID is a lot bigger than I was expecting, but I bought a seperate 400w DCDC converter JUST for the lights. But my wife's scooter just has a seperate little 180w DCDC converter and it is still running fine.

------------------------------
eRider 8000w Scooter - PDT Version
72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

24km: Delivered - 24 September 2011
2490km: Installed dual 35w HID lights Bi-Xenon Projectors - 27 November 2011
8313km: Installed BMS -

Seiermann

Hello Martin,
the days going shorter and I´m (still) thinking (again) about the Xenon conversion.
Does your conversion still works fine?
It would be great if you could tell your experience with the HID.
Thanks
Seiermann

Drew
Drew's picture

Hmmm, I'm not having the same luck.

I bought a slightly cheaper kit on ebay but was actually quite impressed with the quality of the components provided - it came with an AC ballast and suitable wiring looms for direct fitment (plugs in using the original bulb connector).

The problem is though - or so I first thought was that the inrush current to get the HID started was too much - it's specified at approximately 10A on this particular ballast. Thankfully, the ballast was clever enough to try and re-start the lamp a few seconds after initial (failed) firing and continued to do so until the HID lamp striked. However, the inrush current had a habit of upsetting the 12V dc power rail on the bike and tripped up the canbus - it reported a 'throttl' error amongst other random canbus errors. I certainly couldn't do as I wanted to - fit it and forget it! Another consideration is that the 'blinking' (think Chinese description!) of the high/low beam indicators is slightly frustrating - it clearly shows that the headlight current sensing electronics don't like the HID and see it as a non-standard/blown equivalent filament lamp. Either way, it's upset. Clearly the HID does not look like a filament bulb to the control circuitry.

The partial solution, whilst I worked out what else to try, was to let the bike strike the HID lamp after several goes, let it warm up for a minute or two (despite canbus errors), and then restart. At this point, the lamp is hot and hence easier to start. Inrush current is proportionally less and so it then doesn't upset the bike. This still isn't ideal as I don't like the idea of the dc/dc converter being overloaded to get the lamp to start in the first place. It's also not that cold in the UK yet and it will only get colder so will become more and more difficult to start the HID.

So, I ordered a different HID ballast - a slightly more expensive (but again Chinese) one that claimed a lower inrush current rating - this time down to 5.4A. I tried fitting it last night to see it that would improve cold-start. It does, and significantly so. It's clearly a more intelligent digital AC driver/ballast. However, this time the canbus is upset again not on start-up, but when I change from high beam to low beam - and not the other way.

I'm investigating the theory that it something to do with the back-EMF from the high-beam solenoid and when that drops out, you get a negative kick in the circuit which knows out the dc/dc converter albeit momentarily. Or perhaps an integrated effect from the 0v - low/high beam 12v to 0v and 12v positive rail switching relay. That's not fitted with a back-EMF bypass diode either.

Hmm, more thoughts/testing required. Will try and let you know how I get on.

Drew

Drew

martinwinlow

Hi Seiermann & Drew,

Well, I am at 15000 miles now so, roughly 3k miles done with the same HID conversion and it is still functioning normally.

As for issues... I am grateful to Drew for the info on the throttle error which I thought was just my throttle as it required adjusting a while back (pre-HID) but I get this error more often than not at first ignition on, so it is clearly as Drew suggests.. an upset canbus or something. Simply cycling the ignition has never failed to work to clear it hough, thus far at least. So a minor inconvenience. I would be happy to see it gone though... along with the flashing green (dipped) and blue (main) headlight warning lights.

The wobble on main beam has not worsened and it is only evident when going over rough road surface.

The main (and rather significant!) thing that occurred only last week - and therefore probably unrelated to the HID (and I think I remember someone else mentioning it before too) - was coming home at 2200 in the middle of no-where on a moonless night (so 'can't see hand in front of face - without lights - scenario), doing about 40mph when without warning or changing any settings/switches etc just descending a slight incline (in fact exactly where I took the photos showing the HID improvement in my original post, funnily enough) EVERYTHING went off - motor, dash lights, head and tail (I didn't look behind but I didn't see any read lights). Quite exciting. Fortunately it was a straight bit of road and so I just braked as quickly as I carefully could and just guessed when to put my feet down - still slightly moving but OK - and then, immediately after that, everything came back on again (as if I had just switched the bike on). The delay was about 3 or 4 seconds. I didn't see the error code (if there was one) due to lack of light but I assume it was a complete re-boot.

As I say, almost certainly unrelated to the HID but it has frightened me enough to order a small extra handlebar switch which I am going to wire in with a small LED torch under the front headlamp and power from a universal mains (100-240VAC) to 3V switch mode PSU connected directly to the pack, should it happen again. On the other hand I might just use a small re-chargable cell with the torch and run it off the aux 12V power supply in the glove box, but still via the handlebar switch.

As far as the problem with igniting the HID that Drew had is concerned, I was wondering if it is possible to disable the head light until after starting the bike but I gather you can't do this using the stock electrics. The other possibility, then, may be to control the head light power with yet another switch - probably via a relay - so that it can be switched out to allow the 12V rail to settle before switching it on. Interestingly a friend has an ICE bike which we did an HID conversion on about 18 months ago and it too has problems getting the HID going at first.

Anyway, to re-cap... yes, some issues, but I would never want to go back to the stock headlight. MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
evalbum.com/2092

Drew
Drew's picture

Anyway, to re-cap... yes, some issues, but I would never want to go back to the stock headlight. MW

Martin, thanks for your commentsm - I'll have to get back to you at a later time as it's the end of lunch and have to be quick!

Just thought - have you put your bike through an MoT with the HID fitted? I've just put the old headlamp back in a) due to problems with HID (which as I said I'm working on) and b) as I have the MoT tomorrow!

Thanks for your help,

Drew

Drew

Drew
Drew's picture

Martin, thanks for your comments - I'll have to get back to you at a later time as it's the end of lunch and have to be quick!

Just thought - have you put your bike through an MoT with the HID fitted? I've just put the old headlamp back in a) due to problems with HID (which as I said I'm working on) and b) as I have the MoT tomorrow!

Thanks for your help,

Drew

Drew

martinwinlow

Hi Drew,

Yes, my V had its MOT in June or thereabouts and the HID was not an issue. My understanding is that the requirement be 'type approved' and to have levelling and washers only applies to 4 wheeled vehicles (ie cars) and so effectively motorcycles are not covered and therefore exempt. I gather it is down to a loophole in the MOT regs. Perhaps they considered it all a bit pointless when you consider the two-wheeler's light beam's antics when cornering...?

That said, I reiterate the need to keep your lens clean and properly adjust the HID dipped beam so as to ensure you do not annoy passing or leading car drivers. I have never had anyone flash me yet - except for when I leave my indicator on (isn't there some way of making the warning honk longer and therefore more hearable than the millisecond long standard one?).

In my view, the light pattern from my HID is far better than the original bulb and I often wonder if the headlamp reflector was designed for HID but V used halogen in the end to save some money.

On the warning light front, I have been reading about HID 'cancellers' which work capacitively to fool the bike into thinking all is well. Some suggestion also that the power to the standard halogen bulbs might be AC rather than DC (easy enough to find out!) on some canbus-based vehicles and certainly this might tally with the capacitive correction. I intend emailing the supplier of my HID kit to see what they say about them. If needed, they are less than £10 on eBay and a very simple plug-in addition to the existing HID wiring. These may also correct the problem with igniting the HID unit. Will report back on this soon.

MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
evalbum.com/2092

Todd

I am not an electronics expert but would adding a large capacitor the the 12V circuit resolve the issues?

Drew
Drew's picture

Gosh, I'd be surprised if the conventional headlight was being driven with AC! Really don't think that can be the case, surely? I poured over my old knackered m/c last night and there's a hefty-great dc/dc converter (smaller black lump) fitted. That is what convinces me that it must be DC. Also not sure if the 12V DC to HID AC ballast I've got would work at all on a 12V AC supply, after all, it was developed for the automotive (DC) market.

I have also been thinking about Back-EMF cancelling diodes fitted to the High/low beam solenoid and the voltage-rail swapping relay. There aren't any fitted at the moment so that might kick the system about when switching from HIGH to low. After all, that's when the problem manifests itself for me.

I've got my work cut-out for other reasons at the moment so sadly will have to give this a rest for a mo. It'll be interesting to see what you find though, given the chance.

On with that other stuff I mentioned...

Best,

Drew

Drew

Seiermann

Hi Martin, Hi Drew,
thanks for your posts so far...
I´ll need a while to translate them into german ;-)
After my holidays I´ll start the conversion too, I think.
regards
Seiermann

Drew
Drew's picture

I´ll need a while to translate them into german ;-)

Seiermann,

How does Google translate fair?

Mit ein bisschen wie ein re-write, arbeitet Google Translate ziemlich gut.

Dein Englisch ist viel besser als mein Deutsch!

Gosh, würde ich überrascht, wenn die herkömmlichen Scheinwerfer wurde mit AC angetrieben wird werden! Glaube wirklich nicht, das kann der Fall sein, oder? Ich goss über meinen alten knackered m / c letzte Nacht und es gibt eine saftige-Ur DC / DC-Wandler (kleiner schwarzer Klumpen) ausgestattet. Das ist, was mich überzeugt, dass es muss DC sein. Auch nicht sicher, ob die 12V DC auf AC HID Vorschaltgerät Ich habe überhaupt funktionieren würde auf einem 12V AC Versorgung, immerhin war es für die Automobil-(DC)-Markt entwickelt.

Ich habe auch über Back-EMF Cancelling Dioden nachgedacht. Diese könnten auf die Hoch / Abblendlicht Magnetventil und der Spannung-Rail-Swapping Relais eingebaut werden. Diese Elemente werden nicht montiert derzeit. Das könnte Kick das System beim Umschalten von hohen zu niedrigen. Immerhin, das ist, wenn das Problem manifestiert sich für mich.

Ich habe meine Arbeit Ausschnitt aus anderen Gründen im Moment. Leider muss ich dieses eine Pause für einen Moment zu geben. Es wird interessant sein zu sehen, was Sie aber die Chance zu finden.

Ich hatte besser gehen und tun, dass andere Sachen, die ich erwähnt ...

Best,

Drew

Drew

martinwinlow

Todd - What is your reasoning?

Drew - No, I agree about AC being unlikely... perhaps they were talking about the HID bulb supply?

I might get a chance to try your diode idea on my HID kit soon.

Meanwhile I emailed the (ebay) supplier of my HID kit thusly...

'Dear gps-ppc,

Hi - I bought one of these from you in Jan and it has done very well on my Vectrix (electric motorcycle/scooter).

I did a write-up on my installation and mentioned your kit here... visforvoltage dot org/forum/13385-vectrix-vx-1-hid-bi-xenon-headlight-conversion

However, I have not managed to stop the dash warning lights from blinking. I was reading today about 'HID cancellers' and wondered if you have any knowledge of them or recommendations?

Regards, Martin Winlow.'

.. and his helpful response was...

'Dear martinwinlow,

if your orignal bulb is 55w, then the decoders possible to get of the warning.

thanks

Regards

A&E Trading Ltd'

!

I have replied asking for a better response but I am not holding my breath.

Meanwhile, I have ordered a 'canceller' - a whole £8 - and will see if it makes the slightest difference.

MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
evalbum.com/2092

Drew
Drew's picture

Todd - What is your reasoning?

'Dear martinwinlow,

if your orignal bulb is 55w, then the decoders possible to get of the warning.

thanks

Regards

A&E Trading Ltd'
was
!

I have replied asking for a better response but I am not holding my breath.

Meanwhile, I have ordered a 'canceller' - a whole £8 - and will see if it makes the slightest difference.

MW

Hi Martin,

You would have had an earlier reply from me than now - it's just that I had composed a suitable something-er-rather on my phone, late on evening and hit send only for the darn page to freeze, loose all my text and then not be able to find it again! Boy was I cross!

Anyway... Hmmm, think the 'Canbus Canceller' may just be a load increasing resistor of appropriate wattage (an possibly some switching or voltage/current sensing electronics to switch said resistor on and off - So watch out - it might be like fitting a 55W filament lamp. The reason I say watch out is because I'm sure I've read on here and elsewhere that the 12v dc/dc converter is only rated at 4A (perhaps per output?) and hence that'd be approx 48W. The cases where others have uprated their filament bulbs to 55W usually results in a blown rear LED light, possibly because the dc/dc goes a bit hay-wire during overload (even slight) and over-voltages the rear LEDs, causing them to fail. Just a theory but it sounds fairly plausible.

My worry would be that if you fit the canceller, check the amount of current drawn by the new arrangement to make sure you're not overloading the dc/dc converter. I'm not sure how the canceller would work in a modern car with filament-failure sensing electronics - possibly just current sensing, so looking for about 4.5A steady state (for 55w filament). When you fit the standard 35W HID, this drops (when settled and hot running) to what would be less than the 'failed' filament threshold (ie approx 3A is less than 4.5A), hence report a failed filament. That's why I think the kit you're about to fit is just a load-booster.

It'll be interesting to have a look at it when it arrives and see if it's more intelligent than that.

Good luck with the better Chinglish explanation!

All the best,

Drew

Drew

Todd

The capacitor would help stiffen and prevent voltage sag.

Mik
Mik's picture

The rear lamp blows when the voltage sags too low - some component just keeps increasing the current to keep the power high enough for the LEDs, and Ohm's law P = I^2 x R does the rest.

Regarding the blinking dash light: It's a feature, not a fault! The light that shows that the low beam is on is useless and distracting anyway, and a sticker over it blanks out out for good. The high-beam with HID is so blinding to others that it is good to have a blinking warning on the dash to remind you of it.

martinwinlow

Drew - Mik,

I received the canceller (2, in fact) and fitted it easily over the w/e - fortunately without having to remove the headlamp. Initially one thing is obvious - it doesn't stop the blinking warning lights and, Mik, I think your solution/reasoning is the best alternative short of reprogramming the Vectrix to not blink.

As for the throttle error, no sign of it the few times I have switched on the bike. I'll see how I get on this week going to work.

Drew - I think it is just capacitive as Todd suggests. There is no obvious sign looking at it what it consists of and no easy way to open it. Tried measuring it with my capacitance meter and got no response... I've just pried the alu back off the 2nd one and find a thoroughly potted PCB (and it's potted into a chunky lump of vaguely finned alu - so you may be right about power use!). So, Lord knows what it does. I'll test the current draw with it on and off later.

MW

UPDATE:

3 weeks and some 30 excursions later I can report that I have not had a single 'yellow wrench' (spanner, damn it!) error, either at start up or when switching from hi to lo or vice versa, since fitting the canceller. So, it would appear worth spending the extra money to install one...

Also checked the current draw with and without the canceller and it appears the same albeit rather higher than I was expecting 7A but I was in a rush and that may be wrong (I hope so). But certainly the current draw appears to be the same with or without the canceller fitted.

I have now done some 1500 miles since HID conversion and HID still functioning as when fitted. MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
evalbum.com/2092

Seiermann

Hi Drew,
thanks for your (googles) Translation. It made the post even worse to understand... ;-)
I´m thinking about a conversion a german guy did last time. He explained it in the german Vectrix Forum.
He switches the HID over a relais. The problem is the higher current the HID needs during warming up and the worry is that the DC/DC-converter blows. Another idea is to get the current for the HID directly from the V´s batterie, via a separate, fused DC/DC-converter. But the problem with the blinking control light will still exist, I think and therefore I´m waiting for Martins results...
Thanks
Seiermann

martinwinlow

Another update on the HID - still working, still no yellow wrench issues on start up. Not using the V as much as I used to due to work stopping me from charging it there (gits!) But have 20k miles, now - 8k with the HID. Note, there is now a proper - if quite technical - fix for the flashing warning lights…

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/13858-vx1-led-flashing-indicators-workaround?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=...

Regards, Martin Winlow
evalbum.com/2092

JoeBauers

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot