Power tap for additonal stop light?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
toolboxjesse
Power tap for additonal stop light?

I plan to mount a top case as soon as I receive the bracket from Vectrixpro in Europe. http://vectrixpro.wordpress.com/top-case-holder/
The top case I have is from Bestem and includes an LED High-mount brake light, which I would love to take advantage of if possible. I know the idea of tapping in to the rear lights is a sour one considering how they tend to blow out. Has anyone come up with a solution? I imagine a relay would be necessary and a 12v source such as the power outlet.

Thanks,
Jesse

Jack_son
Re: Power tap for additonal stop light?

Jesse in Atlanta,

I looked on line for more info on Vectrix lights, and rear lights. Some of the [best?] info called the Stop Light a "Break Light" instead of "Brake Light". This wrong word was found in Subjects as well as texts, so not isolated typos.

Universal use of "STOP Light" would help - but the French may insist on "ARET".

To confuse the issue even further, mention is made a few times of "broken light/s". To me, a broken light usually is a smashed filament bulb, but a circuit is also "broken" [opened] when a fuse blows in an old-fashioned simple series curcuit: Battery-Fuse-Switch-Bulb. Vibration + age can also cause a "broken" filament.

Old fashioned though this idea is, I'd far prefer an extra $1 spent on a higher current switch, and $1 more spent on increased wire size, vs. ~$100+ spent on a more complex electronic control, which many technicians [and most DIY-ers] can't service.

The electronic control of lights seems to be part of the problem, made worse by changing headlamp from ~3 Amps to ~6 Amps, and possibly confusing the ICM.

I own 2 electric scooters, and an electric bicycle. If anyone can help me find 3 signs to hang on them --"This is NOT Green" - I'll hang them on. I don't want to be confused with those bent on "saving the planet".

A neat blue picture of a globe, with a red diagonal across it, would be even better. Some Liberals may even figure it out - although most die-hard Global Warmists don't often think.

EWheels EW475 eBike LiFePO4 36 V 10 AH Bat

Anderson

Here's an idea check the voltage of the Vectrix's brake light to verify it's 12 volts and if it is then using an ampmeter get the amperage of each (for the test use a seperate 12 volt battery for the Bestem light) of the brake lights. If the Bestem is about the same as the Vectrix's then plan to use only the Bestem light so the Vectrix light will be disconnected and the Bestem will be connected. Led's are polarity sensitive so remember to mark the polarity of the wires so you can hook them up the right way.

toolboxjesse

Ideally I would like to add lights, not remove any, and also won't I lose my turn signals?

Jesse

Jesse in Atlanta

JimmyB

Hey Jesse

Good luck with the Bestem box - I still like mine. Let me know if you do get the lights hooked up!

HubCap

Personally, I would not risk messing around with the existing brake light. I would suggest taking a 12v feed from the socket in the glove compartment, then connecting to your new brake lights via a motion detecting switch. This should be set so that it completes the circuit when the bike is decelerating.
Hope this helps

Keep it shiny side up!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage