Time at the bars, gentleman

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
jamesengland
Time at the bars, gentleman

My Vectrix was fully charged the other day and I left in in the garage. Today, when I switched on, the battery indicator showed no bars and the left gauge showed zero range. However the bike rode fine and performed as it does when fully charged. I put the bike on charge later, after about 3 miles use, and got a CO message at the end of the charge cycle but... The gauge only shows about 4 bars. It looks like the gauge and range indicator have 'slipped' somehow!

Does anyone know what might have happened and what I can do to get it back to normal. I suspect it might involve the campus adapter and a laptop but would ice to avoid that if possible, mainly because I don't have either of those things. Is their a quick, easy fix for this? If not, I may just use the bike and guess.......

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture
Re: Time at the bars, gentleman

If you have the stock firmware flip the kill switch and pull the left brake. You should be able to check the battery voltage. If it is similar to the regular voltage after charging then perhaps you need to do a "gauge reset". You can do this by riding to the red light. But be careful because riding to the red light using the stock firmware can cause battery damage. So no hard accelleration, no regen braking and no high speed or steep climbs.
The charge cycle after riding to the red light is also dangerous. Make sure you use pre charge cooling. And keep an eye out during the charge and unplug as soon as the temperature starts to rise more than 5-7 celcius above ambient.

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

jamesengland

Thanks. I do have the stock firmware so I'll give it a go!

R
R's picture

It happened to me once while ridding along a hi-way. I could reach home, as usual: It is a firmware bug. BUt during next charge the firmware tried to insert more energy than usual, because it though the battery was empty, causing severe overheating.

as soon as the temperature starts to rise more than 5-7 celcius above ambient.

That Vectrix original Firmware overheats the NiMH cells too often. It is a real battery killer.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage