Lithium battery conversion

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
vveconvco
Lithium battery conversion

I have recently converted my 2007 Vectrix to Lifepo4 batteries and BMS. I used 42 CALB 60 ah CA series batteries, and an Elithion Lite battery management system. 34 of the batteries fit perfectly in the battery box with no spacing or shimming required. The remaining 8 batteries are stacked up above the 34 in the space where the fans were. No modification of the battery compartment was required. Antiscab provided me with software, developed by the Laird, that allows the existing charger to fully charge the new 60 ah battery, and moved the top speed limit to 68 mph. Many thanks to Antiscab and The Laird!
The modification has transformed the bike. I could not be happier. I can travel on the expressway, and the range appears to be between 60 and 100 miles, depending on speed.The BMS seems to care for the batteries perfectly. I just plug in at night and forget it.
The one casualty of the software upgrade is the loss of the original SOC meter. Does anyone have a solution for this? I can connect the SOC output from the BMS to an after market meter, (0-5vdc input), but I'd rather retain the original SOC. So far I have traveled 2500 miles on the new batteries with no problems. I have pictures but I don't yet know how to attach them.
Mark

martinwinlow
Re: Lithium battery conversion

Lucky you.

Uploading pics... it's a bit of a chore but:-

Put the cursor where you want the up-loaded pic to go
Click on the left-most little graphic above the 'Comment' text box you are typing in (Insert/Edit Image)
Click on Browse
Click on Upload
Click on Choose File and select the image from you computers drives - it will take any file size (but limited types inc jpg) but if it is bigger than 600k or so it takes a while to upload and re-sizes everything too big down to 250k (500x500)
Click on Upload - You can upload other files at this point too.
Make sure your file is highlighted - you get a preview below the list
Click on Send To Editor
Click on OK... and that's it. Check it is OK using the Preview button rather than save.

MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

acorless

Hi Mark,

I am very interested in your conversion details. I have just bought 3 ( yes 3) 2009 Vectrix bikes from a California ex dealer which all have dead NiMH batteries. 2 of the bikes are new with zero miles and the third was a demo bike. I hope to get one or two bikes on the road with the NiMH batteries but I have already started work to procure a set of 60 Amp hr CALB cells for a Li conversion. I really like the elithion lite package but have many questions about how it really works with the Vectrix. I think your are the current expert? Any additional info you can post would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Adrian

antiscab

The CALB CA66Fi cells will also fit - just with 32 in the bottom and 10 in the top

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

Spaceangel

Mark
Sounds like you did a nice job on the conversion to Lithium. My scooter is crazy now and needs some Lithium to stabilize it. When I first got my scooter I drove it full speed to get home about 29 miles away. Needless to say it went 28 miles. I ran all 17 bars down to Battery light hot. Charged it and put in on SUV to go the other mile and allow it to cool off. So I figured 102 cell 30 AH pack can do a real 30 miles to maybe 25 to 30 maximum miles on pack. That sort of works out to 1 AH a mile.NOw if I do Math you got about the same as before?

I have recently converted my 2007 Vectrix to Lifepo4 batteries and BMS. I used 42 CALB 60 ah CA series batteries, and an Elithion Lite battery management system. 34 of the batteries fit perfectly in the battery box with no spacing or shimming required.

Does that mean you are using same energy to push the scooter but just more range do to more Ampere Hours? 60 miles to maybe 80 on a 60 AH pack?
I did do 47 miles on my old pack which is just about dried out I guess by now.
So if that is the case you sort of don't need a SOC meter - just look at trip odometer. Right? So you are really doing 1 AH per mile then?

KB1UKU

Chris V
Chris V's picture

I saw the images you downloaded and your work exceeded factory specs- Nice job, especially with the 10 additional batteries. I have a concern about the material that you used for sealing the compartment. Is the material a foam backed product? Does it have the ability to "breathe"?

Chris V

Chris V

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage