IMPORTANT BULLETIN FOR CURRENT OWNERS

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
PJD
PJD's picture
IMPORTANT BULLETIN FOR CURRENT OWNERS

Something that Current did not emphasize enough in the Owners Manual given to most "test pilots" is the proper procedure for powering the scooter back up after storage or other occasion for turning both the circuit breaker and the "winter" switch off.

The proper power up procedure is as follows:

1. FIRST switch on the WINTER switch,

2. WAIT at least 5 seconds,

3 THEN switch the circuit breaker on.

This procedure must be followed to avoid potentially damaging inrush currents into the discharged capacitors in the controller. The "winter" switch pre-charges the controller via a 2.7K resistor and a separate small wire to the positive power connection.

Note that this procedure is only needed if BOTH the winter switch and circuit breaker is turned off. If one of the other is left on, you are fine.

- Paul D.

MEroller
MEroller's picture
Re: IMPORTANT BULLETIN FOR CURRENT OWNERS

That WINTER switch is an excellent idea! Saves all the hassle with wires, lightbulb and such. However, is it standard procedure in the Owners Manual to leave the WINTER switch on during normal operation too? It should not be problem, I think, as in case of short circuit in the controller and open circuit braker only around 27mA would flow through the 2.7K resistor with 72V from the battery. But it still gives me an uneasy feeling to bridge the cicuit braker during normal operation, despite 2700 Ohms of resistance...

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

Derby
Derby's picture

1. FIRST switch on the WINTER switch,

2. WAIT at least 5 seconds,

3 THEN switch the circuit breaker on.

These are the instructions in the manual I downloaded when I took delivery of my C124. I believe I was among the last of the 'test pilots' so perhaps those who came before me did not received such instructions.

Derby

PJD
PJD's picture

MErollier,

The main function of the "winter" switch is to supply power to the Bike Control Unit - which draws a small amount of current. The quiescent current draw from the Kelly controller and BCU is tiny and the winter switch and breaker only needs to be turned off is the scooter is being stored for more than 2 months.

Of course resistors always fail by going open-circuit.

a bigger problem has been the somewhat larger amount of current powering the BMS when the charging receptacle door is open. A couple Current test pilots were under the impression that they could leave the charging cord plugged in to keep the scooter "topped off" in the manner of a laptop PC or cell phone. In reality, the programming is such that once the charging is complete, it does not charge again until the BMS and BCU power is cycled off and on. The result is that over a 4-6 weeks of non-use, they discharged their packs completely dead - as low as 30 volts with no load. The packs were recharged and still work - although I suspect the capacity has degraded some.

They are working on new BCU programming that would periodically read the pack voltage and turn charging back on. For now always unplug the charging cord ASAP when done charging.

Paul D.

PJD
PJD's picture

Deleted repeat post - this system has some serious bugs!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage