AC Fans won't turn on?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joshteacher
Joshteacher's picture
AC Fans won't turn on?

After riding home from work, I typically turn on an 8-hour delay so that my 2008 VX-1, can cool down. Today, the DC fan was on (it's been a hot week) as I parked. I set the delay, then plugged in. The AC fans did not turn on. Any tricks I can do to get the fans back on? If I pull the plug and turn on the scooter, the DC fans will turn on and stay on about 15-20 min after I turn off the scooter.

Thoughts?

martinwinlow
Re: AC Fans won't turn on?

Um... I don't think there are any 'AC' fans... there is a controller fan that would only come on when riding if necessary (which is DC, obviously) and the 2 impellers under the seat - again DC - which cool the pack when riding or charging. They tend to come on as soon as you switch off (before connecting to the mains) but only if necessary - ie the pack is hot enough - but turn off again when you connect the mains having applied the timer - which, BTW, doesn't make any sense to me! Maybe I haven't waited around long enough to witness them coming back on again. Short and long... your V is behaving 'normally'... if normal is what mine does. MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

The impellers only come on during the pre-charge delay if the battery is above a certain temperature threshold. If I remember correctly it is 25 or 27 degrees Celsius.
Every 30 minutes the software will check the temperature and as soon as the batteries are below the threshold the impellers will turn off. Even if the pre-charge delay is still running.
So please check the temperature by using the kill switch and left brake before you activate the pre charge cooling.

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

Joshteacher
Joshteacher's picture

Right, they often turn on because I'm often above 27°C after my afternoon commute. When I turned off the scooter and switched on the delay, the batteries were in the 30s (we're currently having a heat wave in Los Angeles). Any thoughts on why the impellers wouldn't turn on even though the temperature is high enough they should turn on?

Mik
Mik's picture

Maybe the ambient temperature is too similar to the battery temperature? No point cooling with warm air?

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Joshteacher
Joshteacher's picture

Mik, possibly, except that it has turned on before, and the fans were on while I was riding. I'm hoping it's just a fluke thing.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57

Support V is for Voltage