Looking for suggestions for a battery charger for subpacks

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todd
Looking for suggestions for a battery charger for subpacks

I'm looking to do some charging/conditioning of sub pack's and I'm wondering if anybody has suggestions for chargers that will do this.

I have a Triton 2 charger that worked admirably for doing my hybrid Honda Insight pack and I recently used it to get my V back to life after the voltage dropped below minimum turn on voltage. However it has several limitations when it comes to batteries of this size. It's designed to charge a battery with a maximum of 10 amp hours.

I like to find something that will charge a sub pack to the full 30 amps and measure the energy put in and also discharge and measure the total output. I realize that many of the small chargers have a limited discharge rate but what I usually do is add an additional load. Although I don't get a true indication of the Watts produced I am able to tell variations from one pack to another so I can further examined the weaker packs for issues.

Any suggestions?

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture
Re: Looking for suggestions for a battery charger for subpacks

Well, I've been using an RC charger with pretty decent results for a week now, systematically reconditioning 8 and 9-cell modules from an old NiMH pack. It's not fast, but charging and balancing algorithms have come a long way in the last few years, and the latest bunch are pretty full-featured and inexpensive. There are rebranded versions of the same models with almost identical firmware from Tenergy, Turnigy, and Imax, but the best deal I found was this 50W 5A charger from HobbyKing that lists for only $19.95. Even with the 5A AC power supply that's sold separately, I was able to pick it up at their Seattle warehouse for only $30.

For more context, you might want to check out this thread.

Todd

Yep the Triton2 charging I am using is an RC charger. It has a max limit of 9.9 amps it will pump into a battery before it auto stops. Its a protective measure so the battery cannot be over charged. I can reset it and start again but I would really like something that will charge larger cells without stopping.

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture

I can deliver the full 30Ah charge with the $20 HobbyKing charger at a 5A rate, but it's never quite gone that far because it senses when the module is full based on delta-peak voltage. (You can configure the delta-peak sensitivity, but I've always just used the default.) My only complaint is that individual cell balancing isn't supported with NiMH, only Li-ion, LiPo and LiFe. It's not clear to me why they have that limitation, since it can charge or discharge up to 15 NiMH cells in series.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage