Modifying a ZEV 6100 maxi-scooter

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
IBScootn
Modifying a ZEV 6100 maxi-scooter

Recently I finished some modifications to my Z Electric Vehicle Model 6100 and thought it was time to document all the modifications I have made. General stats on the 6100 can be found in my signature or on the ZEV company website.

The first and probably the most important modification I made was to add a Cycle Analyst computer to the scooter. I mounted it in the middle of the handle bars and it perfectly matches the bike (looks like OEM equipment). The Cycle Analyst is an amazing tool and widely used on e-bikes, e-scooters and DIY e-cars. For this scooter, the main advantages are: accurate speed, mileage, current, voltage, WH/Mile, AH used, charge cycles, total AH, and total mile readings. The AH reading is a great tool for knowing range left, no matter how many opportunity charges have been made in a single trip. I have it set up to decrement AH back toward zero as the scooter charges. I typically use 1AH/mile, so it makes range calculations super easy.

Next I swapped out the standard headlight bulbs and replaced them with Halogen bulbs. I wasn't really using the scooter for night rides, but a friend had some extra bulbs, so I bought the bulbs thinking that they could only help. I have to say, I wasn't that impressed with the high-beam pattern that the Halogen bulbs produced.

I'm not a fan of voiding warranties on expensive items, so 2 1/2 years later and 6800 trouble-free miles, I made the following modifications.

I was told by the manufacturer that after the first year of use, I might want to adjust the steering head bearing ring. That seemed like a pain, and I wasn't experiencing any steering issues so I waited until recently to adjust the bearing. I bought a 40mm hook wrench and very easily adjusted the bearing. Just remember to loosen the notched ring first, then the lock nut on top of it.

While I had the plastic handlebar cover off adjusting the bearing, I took care of a few modifications in that area. The first modification was to remove an unnecessary switch. When I first installed the CA, I installed a DTDP switch to select between the OEM throttle or the CA virtual throttle for controlling the throttle voltage sent to the motor controller. This turned out to have been a huge complexity that never needed to be done as I always used the stock throttle to control the motor controller. My recommendation to anyone adding a CA - disable the CA from controlling the throttle and your installation will be very easy.

Next modification was to add the TNC Scooter model #101100 throttle. One of the first things new ZEV scooter owners do is complain about the throttle being too abrupt - providing too much current on initial acceleration. I really didn't mind this -I kind of liked feeling the strong acceleration. ZEV had mentioned to me that you could make the scooter crawl at walking speeds on startup, and I have to say I initially didn't believe them. But to prove them wrong, I went out into my large driveway and tried to make it initially crawl. It turned out they were right, but it wasn't intuitive on how to use the OEM throttle. There is an odd slight delay in turning the throttle and when the scooter starts to move slowly. Most folks just turn the handle until power is delivered and hence get more power than expected. So after understanding how to use this throttle, I happily put thousands of miles on the scooter.

Years ago I had bought the TNC throttle because so many other owners seemed happier with it. So with the handlebar cover off, I proceeded to install it. I found a slight modification to the throttle was needed. I cut a hole in the end of the throttle so it would slide into place on the handlebar and allow the use of the OEM handlebar end cap. It works great and the abrupt power surge is gone.

The next modification was to get rid of the halogen lamps and add a LED projection bulb headlight assembly. This headlight assembly is much more efficient with the low or high beams using only 4W or 12W total respectively. The pattern is much more like that of a car than the puny pattern I was getting off the Halogen lamps. I expect this headlight assembly will fit the ZEV standard scooters as well as the XM-xxxx scooters as they seem to use the same front body panel. Contact ZEV for details on this assembly. I'm very happy with these new lights.

I then took off a couple body panels to get access to the batteries and to inspect the frame welds. All frame welds were intact. The reason to get to the batteries was to add balance leads to each cell. Out on HobbyKing.com, they have inexpensive battery monitoring devices that display the voltage on up to eight cells at a time (Cell Log 8M/8S). Great battery cell diagnostic devices. These devices also can supply redundant LVC/HVC alarms. I like the idea of having a redundant BMS even though my existing BMS is still working great.

To install the balance leads, I took three 10 conductor, 24AWG cables, cut off one of the wires and installed each 9-wire cable to a group of 8 cells. The reason for the 9 wires for 8 cells is you need the most negative terminal plus the 8 positive cell terminals to measure all 8 cells. The other end of the cable was terminated in a 9-pin female connector with .1" spacing between lines. This connector mates to the Cell-Log devices.

Now I know the voltage of each cell while charging, discharging or resting. I can use these Cell-Log devices to provide redundant HVC or LVC functions. Much more information on and modification of these devices can be found out on www.endless-sphere.com.

I have to say I'm very pleased with my 6100 for what it is. Yes I would like the added range and faster charging current that a larger capacity pack would give, but the 6100 does handle the vast majority of my needs.

Eclipse
Re: Modifying a ZEV 6100 maxi-scooter

Thanks for your posting which I found useful as I have just purchased a nearly nearly new (10 miles on clock) ZEV 6100 today. I haven't yet received the instructions for the bike and one thing I am trying to check is that the battery charger which comes with it is definitely for this bike. It's marked as 28 cell 101.4V 10Ah lithium charger however I can only see 24 cells linked in series under the seat area. Would you know if there is another 4 cells positioned somewhere else (possibly to power the bikes lights, indicators etc). The 16V gauge on the dashboard makes me think this could be the case. I'm reluctant to connect the charger until I know it has the correct output voltage.

Eclipse

Having done some further checking it would seem that the ZEV 6100 does only have a total of 24 cells (based on 72V controller) and the charger supplied with the bike should have had an output of 87V and not 101.4V which would appear to be meant for the ZEV 7100!

I noticed the high charger voltage fairly quickly after connecting the charger to the bike so hopefully avoided any damage (should the BMS not protect from such mistakes). The bike however has apparently been stored for some time & charged periodically by the company I purchased it off who had many different models of the ZEV's available (presumably hence the mixup with the chargers). If this incorrect charger has been used with the bike to charge it I'm wondering if the BMS would stop the charger once any cells reached their max voltage (say 3.9V) or if the full 101.4V has been put into the batteries which would obviously not be good and would average 4.225V per cell.

IBScootn

The 6100 is a 24 cell scooter. The 7100 is a 28 cell scooter. Are you sure you have the 6100? There is I believe five 4-cell packs on the lowest row, then one more 4-pack above that for the 6100 or two more packs above if a model 7100. The fifth pack on the lower row is not visible from the seat area. The ID plate on the back of the battery box, nearest to rear wheel, will state the model, but it might have been modified by adding 4 more cells and a new controller and BMS. Check the info on the motor controller and on top of the BMS controller box. My BMS is marked for 72V.

Hmm, you might have four more cells in the front headlight section.

Measure the total pack voltage from first cell neg terminal to the circuit breaker and see what voltage you get.

The 28 cell charger hints that this bike is modified or a 7100, so I would try harder to locate the other four cells.

Motorcycles: 2011 ZEV Trail 7100, 84V, 60AH, 60+mph, Cycle Analyst, TNC throttle, modified charger. 2013 Kymco GT300i
Bicycles: 2017 Sondors Thin
Cars: 2016 Leaf SV, 30KWH pack. 2007 CR-V
Solar array: 5KW. Cost per lifetime KWH produced $0.073
Bi

IBScootn

Another modification I made was to make my own charger. The OEM charger stated it was a 10A charger but only sent 9A into my pack. Much too slow for opportunity charging. The OEM charger unfortunately fried while doing an opportunity charge off a old barn outlet that wasn't wired for this high of a load. So, I quickly patched together a "Bad Boy" charger to charge the scooter until a made a new charger.

Since GBS battery distributors discourage charging above 0.33C or 13.3A, I dropped any ideas of making a 30A charger with a level 2 interface, and settled on a 14.3A design. BTW, GBS specifcations state up to 0.8C charger or 32A is recommended, but I chose to be cautious. : (

I took two Mean Well HRP-600-48 power supplies, they have built-in current limiting, and put them in series with a large diode between them and the battery pack. This makes an adjustable power supply with 81.6 to 110.4V output and limited to a max of about 14A. Cost was about $300 total.

Even though this new charger is only 60% faster then the OEM, somehow it feels faster than that, especially for opportunity charging where charge time is important.

Motorcycles: 2011 ZEV Trail 7100, 84V, 60AH, 60+mph, Cycle Analyst, TNC throttle, modified charger. 2013 Kymco GT300i
Bi

IBScootn

Eclipse,

This forum seems messed up in the ordering of responses; I wonder if it isn't processing time zone properly. The BMS should have disconnected the charger when the first cell hit 3.9V.

Bi

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging