Vectux Charger Dead - Now what?

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
antiscab
Re: Vectux Charger Dead - Now what?

"What are the 10 selections I can make on my Elcon PFC charger?

Elcon PFC chargers can be programmed to provide 10 different Amp Hour selections (Battery Sizes), or 10 different Cell Count selections (Charge To Voltages), based on customer request at the time of purchase."

This is the button for switching between the 10 charge profiles (revealed by removing the cover):
profile change switch.JPG

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

betatester

Hi everybody,

is there still anyone, who is interested in having a new ESD- Charger ?
I got response from the ESD- People, that they have still a lot of chargers in stock.

Peter

Mik
Mik's picture

Hi everybody,

is there still anyone, who is interested in having a new ESD- Charger ?
I got response from the ESD- People, that they have still a lot of chargers in stock.

Peter

Are these ESD chargers improved in some way, meaning the standby power consumption and heating problem is solved and whatever else makes them fail?

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

robwhite
robwhite's picture

image_0.jpgimage.jpgG/day Mik Iv'e mounted my elcon charger in the battery box lid which I thought was easier than trying to squash it in up front and yes I noticed the difference in handling with the weight now shifted down lower off the head stem. When I get home I'll post some pics of the mounting. It doesn't get hot enough to need fans as it's got quite a large heat sinkimage_1.jpg If I was to do this again I would move the battery charger further forward than what is shown in the pic as the loom coming out the rear interferes with the front of the rear upper battery pack. I would also mount lower down at the front. Another thing that caught me was the seat hit on the heat sink fins so I had to curve the fins to clear the seat.

rob white

betatester

I dont know, Mik ! After the GP decision to put in the Runke instead of ESD the production of some weeks became worthless overnight. I dont believe that they spent any minute for improvements after that. But i will ask.

Peter

Mik
Mik's picture

I dont know, Mik ! After the GP decision to put in the Runke instead of ESD the production of some weeks became worthless overnight. I dont believe that they spent any minute for improvements after that. But i will ask.

Peter

Well, even some clear instructions on how to fix the failure problems would increase the value of their stock, I guess.
It's not likely that many would buy a new ESD charger and not know about their issues. But if it is possible to fix the problems, then the ESD is a great choice because of the software that the Laird has modified/developed for it.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

antiscab

Roman and I had thought we had fixed the sudden failure issue

The bias power supply that delivers 12v until the main 12v powersupply comes on is the most common cause of failure for the ESD charger

When Roman repaired The Laird's ESD charger, we removed the bias startup powersupply and substituted a meanwell switchmode powersupply in it's place

That as it happens did not work

I would suggest that it is not economical to modify the ESD chargers (even when working) to be more reliable - there's too much to fix

If these ESD charger's are sold cheaply enough - they would be useful to just use as is

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

If these ESD charger's are sold cheaply enough - they would be useful to just use as is

And if you're lucky they will last 46.000 km like mine has.
I might buy a couple of spare ESD's if the price is right though!!

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

Frolle

Found 150V 400W power supply on Ebay with adjustable current and voltage for about 28 GBP.
Search for "150V 400W".

150v400w.JPG

2,6A charge current will fill a completely empty battery in 15h.
Well an external 12V power supply is also needed to power the fans and the fuel gauge will not register the charge.
At least it is a cheap solution and probably better then not being able to use the bike at all.

Since it has adjustable current with a variable resistor, some bright mind can probably figure out a voltage controlled trigger to switch from high current to low when reaching proper bulk-charge-voltage. Even better two of these power supplies and a mini PLC or micro controller can be used to sense the voltage over a voltage divider and control four relays, one for fans, and one for each charge current. Then it would be a complete replacement for the ESD charger. Maybe there are cheap Internet enabled controllers so charge status can be seen from the phone :-)

Two of those will give pretty much the same charge current as The Laird gentle charging software.

And the power supply is probably also suitable for lifting a totally empty battery to a level where the built on one can kick in.

I just ordered one to have as "spare", since I use the bike daily and do not want to get stranded the day the ESD gives up. I have two Runky as spare but after all the negative stuff I have read about them, I am a bit skeptic to fit them on the bike.

Thoughts?

Pages

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage