Low-power or hi-power recharges with LiFePO batteries?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
mpregal
mpregal's picture
Low-power or hi-power recharges with LiFePO batteries?

Hi!

With the new firmware uploaded to my bike there are some interesting features.

You can set charger's maximum power (1.500w as factory default) and maximum Ah's charged (42 as factory default for Li+).
My bike is stopped for more than 12-13h every night (from 7:00pm to 8:00am next morning), so I have a lot of time to recharge and analyze.
I am making some tests with the charger set to 700-900w, trying -I think- slower and healthier charges.
Main facts are longer charging time (up to 12h with complete eq), and lower temperatures (hottest cell reaches 31-33ºC, ambient temp is aprox 14ºC)

My knowledge of LiFePo chemistry is very poor, so the question is: are these "low-power" charges better for the battery?

Thanks!

MEroller
MEroller's picture
Re: Low-power or hi-power recharges with LiFePO batteries?

Your battery heating by charging alone seems very high to me. My charger works with 10A at around 960W which might be similar to your higher-voltage Vectrix, and the battery heats up by a maximum of about 10°C / K. Are you sure the Li+ has LiFePO4 chemistry on board? If yes the internal resistance of the cells is pretty high to generate such heat.

As long as the charging current stays below about 0.5C (so around 20A for your battery) LiFePO4 does not care much about differences in charging rates, but feel free to experiment :-)

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage