Battery Help

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
scowarn
Battery Help

I have a 2007 Vectrix with 1000 miles. I haven't been riding for a few months and when I plugged in the charger I got nothing.
It had been working fine the last time I rode.
I assumed the Voltage in the pack had drained down and was too low for the charger to work.
I measured the voltage of the pack and got a reading of 127v.
That seemed high since the bike is totally dead.
I was thinking of doing a trickle charge if the voltage measured under 85V, but now I'm not sure what to do.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

R
R's picture
Re: Battery Help

The charger does not start. If the battery's v is ok, the charger does not receive energy, the charger is damaged, or it does not receive the order from the MC to start the charge (damaged MC). If the battery is ok, something stopped draining energy. maybe the motorcontroller is damaged?

A pair of ideas,
check that the charger(BC) receives energy:
unplug the square connectors of the charger, and test voltage at the end of those connectors. One go to the battery, the other one is AC supply.
By unplugging them you do a BC hard reset.
With the BC unplugged try to turn the vectrix on with the key. Any response?

scowarn

Thanks,
I will try your suggestions.
Scott

Mik
Mik's picture

At 127V, the display should come on when you turn the key on.

A damaged charger would not prevent the display from coming on if the voltage is 127V.

A blown main fuse would cause the symptoms you seem to describe.

Try this: In a quiet environment, plug in the charger (and turn on the power point) and immediately look and listen for blinking of the boot courtesy light and a few faint clicks and noises from somewhere in the scooter.

You can probably test for continuity across the main fuse without taking the battery out, but I have not tried it myself. Disconnect the blue connector on top of the battery first and use an inrush current limiter to reconnect it when you do.

Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

scowarn

Mik,
I was able to access the battery thanks to your post with pictures.
I don't know where the main fuse is located.
Can you tell me how to access it?
Also what is the function of the connector that plugs into the battery cover?
Do you think it is unusual that the voltage measured as high as it did after sitting several months?
I measured it with 2 different multimeters so I think it's accurate.
Thanks,
Scott

gln103

Anyone know how to access and check the Vectrix's high voltage without tearing the bike down to the battery?

Also, anyone know why I can't create a new post ("You are not allowed to post new content in the forum."). Its been a while, but I've created new posts in the past, so I don't know what's changed.

Thanks,

Gary

R
R's picture

scowarn, after some months idling the battery gets discharged well below 80v.
If your voltage is 127V, means that no computer is draining energy from the battery (the vectrix motorcontroller is always "awake")
Maybe it is a Motorcontroller issue, maybe the fuse is blown.
the main fuse is located on the motorcontroller board upper right, white big fuse. Use 200A replacement if it is blown. Do some research , there are plenty posts about the replacing procedure.
Motor controller suspect_0.jpg

R
R's picture

Anyone know how to access and check the Vectrix's high voltage without tearing the bike down to the battery?

gln103, the battery charger has two connectors. One AC plug, the other wired to the battery. You can check the voltage with a tester on that battery connector.
About the forum rights to post messages, ask the admin...
LeftieBiker

If you fail the "CAPTCHA" test at login, and try to post, you get that message. It's a PITA.

Mik
Mik's picture

"Several months" is not specific enough. After 2-3 month in a cool environment your battery could still have 127V, with or without main fuse. It depends on how full it was at the start of the inactivity period and how warm it was.
If the fuse is blown, then the 7mA continuous drain from the MC will be absent and it will take much longer for the battery to drop to zero V. Much longer as in "years". The rudimentary and unused BMS voltage divider will probably cause some cells to be discharged earlier than others, but much slower than the MC 7mA current drain.

The fuse is located on the MC board, as shown in the picture that "R" posted above, but in the scooter it will be on the bottom end of the MC board.

The connector on top of the housing is probably the 12V supply for the battery cooling impellers.

Did you see the storage compartment light flicker or hear any noises when plugging in the charger?

Cheers, Mik

israndy
israndy's picture

Did you see the storage compartment light flicker

Cheers, Mik

There's a storage compartment light?? Hmmm... Damn 2007 design. I had always been so happy that other than paint scheme there really didn't seem to be a difference between the years of VX-1's. I guess there is that thing under the dash to keep the bike more water-resistant and they changed the charger to Runke. Now there is the light in the storage compartment! An actual feature I can see, or could have, if I had a light.

-Randy

Mik
Mik's picture

You have no light under the seat?

I never heard that before. Maybe they stopped putting them in at some stage.

Anyone else without a light under the seat which comes on automatically when the seat is opened?

The light is activated by the switch that needs to be removed as the first step when you start to access the battery compartment.

Mik

hempev

The key has to be on for it to light. It's odd that what is essentially a trunk does not get lit with the key out...

R
R's picture

Anyone else without a light under the seat which comes on automatically when the seat is opened?

As far as I know, all vectrix have that compartment light.

LIGHT VECTRIX.jpg

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage