Is this a good bike to purchase?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Persona Non-Grata
Is this a good bike to purchase?

Hello V is for voltage community, I have a question concerning an electric bicycle that I am considering purchasing. I and it are currently located in British Columbia, Canada, and the person selling it told me that the person they purchased it from acquired it from a Walmart in Colorado, United States of America., and is only approximately two years old and virtually unused by themselves, they claim to have maintained the battery well. To my untrained eye all the tyres, brake pads, frame, standard bicycle side of things, etc… looks in good condition. It is absent an owner's manual.

The bike is a "Trailz-ezip" and also has "Powered by Currie Electrodrive" on a stylized seal/stamp on the centre column. The motor is externally mounted near the left rear tyre, and is a "Currie Motor model XYD-16" with "24V 470rpm 450W". The Battery is a Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) 24 volt 10 amp-hour, with charger; comes with one (1) battery pack but can carry two (2). The battery pack(s) are carried pannier style and lock individually into place with a key (included). The unused battery contact has a rubber insert sealing it. The battery case is a Model "RBM", the charger is of Model QL-09005-132401800H, with 24Vdc 180mA output, and 100-120V 50/60Hz 1.5A input. Electrically, there is a switch on the back above the wheel that switches between one battery pack, the other, or off. If there is a controller it is in a grey box above the rear wheel that is integrated into the design of the battery pack harness, this also forms a rear bike rack. It has a twist throttle on the right side with a three light battery level metre (I assume) near by it and a switch which is labelled "Pass" and "Tag".

On the mechanical side of the bicycle, it has seven gear settings on a twist handle on the left handlebar that reads "SHIMANO 7SIS" it is an external cassette type gear system on the rear wheel, the forward sprocket is singular with a chain guide around it. The brakes have "ARTEK vigorous" written on them. It has a single leg kick stand on the left side and both forward and rear reflectors, rare for a bicycle in my area and surprising hard to get after market.

In your somewhat more informed opinions, is this a good purchase? What price do you think should be paid for it? What would the "Pass" and "Tag" on that switch mean? Would it have regenerative engine braking? How far would it probably travel on the one battery pack? Is the charger of the self regulating type? and can it charge other amp-hour capacities of SLA battery? Where would I be able to get more information on this bike? Where would I get spare battery pack cases? Does the manufacturers of this bike even still exist? I will attempt to answer these questions myself, but I don't hold up much hope.

This is probably a time limited offer for me, so I need information and opinions promptly. Thank you.

electric bike, picture 1.jpg
electric bike, picture 2.jpg

Persona Non-Grata
Re: Is this a good bike to purchase?

So far this bike has been suitable for its purpose, although it feels a little heavy even with motor assistance. Better than its two predecessors, a Kaishan k500w and a Merida TEV550. Will provide more info on continued performance later.
Is there any possibility for attaching a trailer with the gear deck on one side and the motor mount on the other?

With a hammer, a chisle can be made. With a hammer and chistle, files can be made. With hammer, chisle, and file anything else can be made.
Kaishan k500w retired, Merida TEV500 on indefinite sabbatical, currently using a Currie E-zip Trailz.

sofie

Yes, because this bike offers a relaxed, upright seating position with larger tires and soft wide seats. Perfect for relaxed riding on pavement surfaces. So you can purchase it, without thinking any more…

LeftieBiker

The EZIP Trailz is a great bike, actually. A little primitive by present standards, but they also have the worst "bugs" worked out of them and most major parts (the most recent motor excepted, for some reason) are easily available. Currie just stopped making the Trailz, replacing it with the aluminum Eco Ride 2, but the bike is still available as "new old stock" in places. I have three of them. The SLA battery that comes with the bike is the weak point, with its combination of high weight and low capacity, and its need to be fully recharged immediately after every use. If you weigh more than 150lbs, keep an eye on the rear spokes, for looseness and signs of failure. Replacing the 24 volt SLA pack with a good lithium pack will by itself improve performance significantly, because of much lower voltage "sag" and (usually) higher capacity. Don't get the Currie optional 6.4AH lithium pack though - it's overpriced and not as reliable as good aftermarket units.

As for a trailer, one of my bikes was acquired with a trailer "hitch" (actually just a bracket with a rounded piece of metal attached) that hooked, via a short arm, to a little plastic trailer, so yes, it's possible. You would mount it on the right side, near or at the axle nut. Good luck with the bike!

LeftieBiker

The EZIP Trailz is a great bike, actually. A little primitive by present standards, but they also have the worst "bugs" worked out of them and most major parts (the most recent motor excepted, for some reason) are easily available. Currie just stopped making the Trailz, replacing it with the aluminum Eco Ride 2, but the bike is still available as "new old stock" in places. I have three of them. The SLA battery that comes with the bike is the weak point, with its combination of high weight and low capacity, and its need to be fully recharged immediately after every use. If you weigh more than 150lbs, keep an eye on the rear spokes, for looseness and signs of failure. Replacing the 24 volt SLA pack with a good lithium pack will by itself improve performance significantly, because of much lower voltage "sag" and (usually) higher capacity. Don't get the Currie optional 6.4AH lithium pack though - it's overpriced and not as reliable as good aftermarket units.

As for a trailer, one of my bikes was acquired with a trailer "hitch" (actually just a bracket with a rounded piece of metal attached) that hooked, via a short arm, to a little plastic trailer, so yes, it's possible. You would mount it on the right side, near or at the axle nut. Good luck with the bike!

lskxokpin

Well, it looks good, the bike.

Stef.T

Got any interest in bottom bracket torque-sensing system? It's an ass-kicker on slopes! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCLj9KFwJyU

Keep calm and whizz on.

rans2155

so did you ever buy it??

Mickel1992

I don't think it is a good purchase

berry3

Not bad! Looks like a good one. Thank you for sharing.

sophiaedward64

Yeah it's good for a purpose that you wanna buy, so buy it.

Griditem
Griditem's picture

With a hammer and chistle, files can be made.

Griditem
Griditem's picture

Why is so few information?

Copedawg
HOWDY YA'LL! Re: Is this a good bike to purchase?

HOWDY YA'LL!
I'm new to this forum! This is my 1st post! I didn't see a "Welcome Thread" or anything and I can't start my own thread yet, so...here I am! I like Pizza, long walks on the beach and I take Geritol everyday! lol.
I was brain storming with a friend of mine of how electric motors work in vehicles (military machines to be exact) and realized I don't know chit about it...or as much I thought I may/should. I understand electric motors and VFD's but it's a very elementary understanding. ANYWAY, I found this forum and thought I'd join and hang out to see if any knowledge sticks to me.
I look forward to meeting ya'll!
Thanks for having me!

isabellsophie

Yeah, since, with wider tires and soft wide seats, this bike provides a relaxed, upright seating position. Great on pavement surfaces for relaxed riding. So, without worrying any more, you should buy it...

isa

ozzy40

I loved Ezip Trailz too, used it as an electric bike, used motor only, cruised at 16 - 18 mph on dozens of 3 - 4 mile trips. I always recharged after every trip. 2 hour charge time, with supplied charger. I purchased the optional 4amp charger and reduced recharge time to 1 hour. After 3 months, 2 -3 trips each day, battery capacity has finally degraded enough to make it an "electric assist" bicycle, I have to pedal some to maintain the same speed. Batteries are easily replaceable just haven't felt the need yet

michaelmic

Thanks Ozzy, for sharing your experience with Ezip Trails. Helped a lot!

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage