Retrofit scooter with ABS

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ka252
Retrofit scooter with ABS

Has anyone retrofitted their scooter with real anti locking bakes (ABS)? I'm particularly interested in the eRider Puma scooter for this purpose.
From what I have read on other forums, it seems like a hard thing to do. But still.. has anyone done it?

MEroller
MEroller's picture
Re: Retrofit scooter with ABS

A REAL motorcylce ABS is a pain in the you-know-where to tune correctly to the bike at hand and all road, riding and tire circumstances immaginable. Therefore only big motorcycle manufacturers like BMW for example have actually gone through that painstaking process.

What on Chinese bikes is sometimes called "ABS" brakes is simply a kind of hydraulic pressure limiter which does not allow brake pressure to rise a above a certain value, no matter how hard you pull the brake lever. This can be tuned so the tire at hand will not lock up on - for example - a wet asphalt road. But it will also lengthen braking distances accordingly.

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

Ka252
Re: Retrofit scooter with ABS

I guess you are right. Though I'm sad that our favorite scooter company doesn't have a real ABS integration to offer.
The fake ABS is really dangerous. It can never know beforehand what the correct pressure should be in different situations.
According to statistics, the probability of getting killed in a motorcycle accident with real ABS is 50% compared to without ABS, so it's a quite valuable feature.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage