Dear charger, simple repair

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stanzeman
Dear charger, simple repair
AttachmentSize
Image icon resistor vectrix.jpg22.67 KB

Hello,
My ESD charger died. Second time this happens on 2 different Vectrix. I took it out and unlike the previous one, this one did not show any signs of burnt components. I could measure mains voltage all the way to the main board, after the bridge rectifier, but no sign of life after that. I was about to bin it but finally decided to go through the highly entertaining process of removing the main board. Again, nothing looked damaged there. So I started measuring a few things and came across this 220 Ohms power resistor that was simply open. This is just very odd as it does not show any sign of heat or mechanical damage. I had a couple of 470 Ohms ones laying around. Put them in and bingo, the charger is back in action. I hope this can help some of you out there with a dead charger.

Kocho
Re: Dear charger, simple repair

Hi, can you upload a photo of where this resistor is in the charger? I still have not fixed mine and I too do not see anything else burnt other than a very similar looking resistor that I have already replaced (but I'm pretty sure it is not the one you got)...

Thanks!

Stanzeman

Sorry but the charger is already back in the bike and I did not take a picture of the resistor on the board. This resistor is located next to 3 blue non polarised capacitors and a black relay (from memory). If you send me some pictures of your charger, I can certainly identify it for you.

Kocho

Your description sounds a lot like where my (and others') burnt resistors reside ...

Can you take a look at posts #61 or so here and tell me if that's the same resistor? Looks like it for sure. Some people have 2 of them in parallel, some have 1 of them there. I had one that burned, replaced it with two in parallel (did not have the correct value for a single), but they heat-up a lot and the charger still does not work. So, something else is burned in mine but I can't see it...

Here is the thread in question: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/11322-has-my-charger-died?page=2#comment-73503

This is my burned resistor (open circuit) and it placed approximately where it came from (was mounted on the other side of this board, I unsoldered it in place and dragged it out with tweezers without disassembling the charger). I mounted replacement resistors on the top side of the board.

WP_20140928_13_12_51_Pro.jpg
DSCF0744.jpg

Stanzeman

Yes, this is the one, and is a 220 Ohms for sure. What puzzles me is the picture on the other thread which show 2x 220 Ohms resistors in series which equals to 440 Ohms. So why would there be some chargers with running with a 220 Ohms resistor and others with 440 Ohms?
If you resistor heats up a lot, you probably have a dead capacitor somewhere. You should check their capacitance one by one.

Kocho

Thanks! Lucky for you it was all you needed to fix. And hope in your case that is all that it was bad - a defective resistor and not some damage in the transistors that other seem to describe in that other thread.

Looks like I would need to disassembler my dead charger further to see what's what ... I'll check the capacitors too, as suggested - thanks!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage