Bought an after market controller, it's not working properly, help please

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pinesal
Bought an after market controller, it's not working properly, help please

I have an X-treme xb610 ebike and after a failed shunt mod, I bought an after market controller rather than an exact replacement (better controller, cheaper.)

My bike is 48v, 600watt motor.

The new controller is 48v 1000 watts. (Electric Bicycle Brushless DC Motor Controller 24V 36V 48V EBike 350W 500W 1000W | eBay)

The controller uses and led/lcd but I don't have it, the seller said I could jump the red and blue wire to make it work without one. So I did.

I found a chart of 36 possible hall/phase wire combinations and tried all of them. I settled on one that works the best of all but it's not perfect.

The back wheel is raised off the floor. When I apply throttle, the wheel spins for about 4 seconds then looses power. Sometimes I have to push the wheel to get it to start.releasing the throttle and reapplying it will cause the wheel to start spinning again.

I have a watt meter plugged in between the battery and the controller. Volts at rest is above 52 volts, with throttle applied, it drops to about 51 volts. Amps go from zero to about 6amps while the wheel spins then drops to zero again as the wheel looses power.

I think thats all the info I have so far.

Does anyone know why the motor might be cutting out? What can I do to further trouble shoot this?
Here is a wire schematic for my bike https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20diagram.png

Thanks for your help.

Johnny J
Johnny J's picture
Re: Bought an after market controller, it's not working ...

It could be related to which phase angle of the Hall sensors there should be on your motor, usually they are 60 or 120 degrees.
On some controllers you can change this.

Pinesal

Yeah, yeah. This might be a problem. I THINK the phase angle of the motor is 60 degrees and the seller of the controller THINKS it's 120 degrees. Would a mismatched phase angle cause these symptoms?

Johnny J
Johnny J's picture

Hard to say, more advanced controllers cuts the power if they don't get the proper reply from the Hall sensors...

Pinesal

UPDATE!

So I got the LED today and hooked it up. I have mostly the same results except when I press the 6km/h button, the motor continues to spin but at a low speed.

zerogas
zerogas's picture

Do you have a link for the controller, or more stats about it?

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Pinesal

I don’t have this bike anymore. Sorry I never came back with an update. I ended up returning the controller and getting one with a self study cable. This fixed the issue as the controller could change between 120 and 60 degrees.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage