Vectrix keeps rebooting

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
ProEV
Vectrix keeps rebooting

The bike was working fine for numerous rides. Running Leaf cells and the Laird's charger firmware. Did a normal 35 mile ride and then recharged. When I went to turn on the bike, it started fine. The only thing that I remember doing different was press the button that changes the read out to Kilometers but I have done that before without any issues. As I was sitting on the bike, it rebooted and then rebooted again. I tried switching off and on again. I changed back to Miles. Switched on and off again. It keeps rebooting. Oddly, it will drive while rebooting.

I have not washed the bike or gotten it wet but it is colder than usual but well above freezing.

Any ideas?

R
R's picture
Re: Vectrix keeps rebooting

There are 5-6 "computers" on the vectrix:

Charger
Motorcontroller
ICM
Dashboard
Encoder
In Li versions, 4 BMS.

You can ride the vectrix because the one that is malfunctioning is the dashboard.

ProEV

Ok, that makes sense. I wonder why the dashboard has decided to malfunction and how to fix it?

R
R's picture

maybe The dashboard is receiving canbus errors that makes it reboot continously. Do you have another vectrix nearby to test the dasboard on another system?

X Vectrix

It sounds like something is drawing too much current on the 12V going to the dash and the resettable fuse in the ICM is cycling.

R
R's picture

Maybe the DC-DC on the MC board is damaged?
If you switch off/unplug the front light, does it stop rebooting?

Archi13
Archi13's picture

Hello ProEv,
Have you try to unplug the central connector in the bottom of the charger in right side of the fork for reseating the bike?

ProEV

I plugged in scooter diagnostics and the CAN connected. It did not show any errors.

I can't reach either the head light plug or central connector without doing some disassembly since the VX-3 front suspension takes up more room. I am guessing that will be the next step.

I did check the 12 volt outlet and it reads a steady 11.84 volts. Is that normal?

BLUESTREAK

Thats about right, I checked my blue and red scooter 12 volt socket and one reads (11.86 and one 11.93). COOPER.

BLUESTREAK

HI CLIFF ,have you had any success?.

ProEV

Hi Cooper,

Yes and no. I put the rear wheel up in the air to avoid any unfortunate happenings and then connected the diagnostic program again. I went into the dashboard tab and selected control mode. The program warned me to put the wheel in the air. Now the green CAN bar would occasionally turn red and say 'throttle fault' then go back to green. I came out of control mode. Neither action stopped the screen from constantly restarting. I went to the CAN test page and ran that test. It ran without errors. I went to the throttle page and clicked on 'calibrate'. Nothing happened except that the 'test phase' button became active. I clicked on that and, as the warning dialog had told me, the rear wheel slowly rotated. I waited for it to stop and then tried shutting down again. None of these things made any difference to the screen rebooting.

I removed the windscreen and cover. There is a silver box with a huge plug. I removed that and then unplugged the dashboard's connector. I plugged it back in and plugged the huge plug back in. Both locked in to place and seemed tight. I screwed back in the box. This made no difference.

I had already driven the bike in vertical lock mode while the screen keep rebooting. The bike is limited to 5 KMH when the vertical lock is on and, except for the screen constantly restarting, the bike drove normally. The VX3 transitions to being able to lean by pressing a red button. I took it for a short ride and discovered the screen does not reboot after the button is pressed. It does return to rebooting when I go back to 'locked' mode. So it is a problem that only occurs when the VX3 vertical lock is engaged.

I do not have a guess why but, at leas,t the bike is useable.

BLUESTREAK

HI CLIFF, there is an add that has vx3 controler and tilt lock circuit boards for sale @ ( WORCHESTER.EBAYCLASSIFIED.COM VECTRIX PARTS) THIS MAY HELP

R
R's picture

So, the dashboard is ok. Keep in mind this is a prototype.Maybe when the tilting system locks to vertical it drains too much energy from the dc dc converter in form of micropulses and makes the dashboard to reboot.. The original vectrix dcdc wasn,t expected to supply energy to that extra system.I suggest you install an aditional dc-dc power supply 150v to 12v to run on the lock system. Orherwise, you risk to overload that dcdc from the motorconteoller and burn it, really messy to replace.

ProEV

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help.

I thought that maybe if it was a DC-DC load problem, I might get the rebooting by turning on the High Beams while driving. No effect, which did not prove it wasn't an electrical load problem but failed to prove it was.

I came to a halt without activating the vertical lock and balanced the bike with my feet. I idlely pressed the Kilometer/Miles button a couple of times since that was what I was doing when this problem appeared. (BTW Cooper, still no sign of voltage display when in Kilometer mode). I left the bike in Miles mode and put the vertical lock back on. No rebooting.

Huh? The problem is gone. I drove the bike last night going back into vertical lock mode mutiple times and switching on and off the bike. I've got no idea.

BLUESTREAK

Well cliff I am glad for you and I bet you are very happy as well. we will talk about the lack of volts not being shown by private message,bye.

R
R's picture

The v-goblin inside your vectrix decided to migrate to another vectrix! Great!. Have you used a vodoo root lately to make an exorcism on it? Anyway, congrats, your vectrix is usable again!

BLUESTREAK

HI CLIFF, have you had anymore problems with the vx3 and have you installed your balance harness yet? let us hear from you.

R
R's picture

Hi, 3 3vx3 for sale on ebay!!

They may interest somebody. A pity the are not in Europe.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VX-3-VECTRIX-ELECTRIC-SCOOTERS-FOR-PARTS-NOT-WORKING-/181634511237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4a42...

Bikemad
Bikemad's picture

It looks like they are just selling bits rather than the three bikes:

WE ARE PARTING OUT 3 VECTRIX VX-3'S LET US KNOW WHAT PART YOU NEED AND WE'LL PULL IT OFF IF WE HAVE IT.

The delivery charge ($55.35 USPS Priority Mail International) would be good value for three complete bikes.

I wonder what you would receive for $3,000.00 if you selected the "Buy it Now" option?

Alan

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage