Problem With Dougas engeneering Firmware

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
R
R's picture
Problem With Dougas engeneering Firmware

Some months ago I downloaded Dougas' firmwares.
This week I could find some spare time to test it on my second vectrix.
What is really remarkable in this firmware: The MC and BC values can be programmed trough an additional application via Canbus. Additional features such as real control cruise are really interesting.
The MC of my Vectrix could be programmed correctly, however my ESD BC is persistently refusing to accept correct values send from the Dougas application.
After several attempts, the application Crashes.
Please have a look at the Youtube video ( I apologise for the bad quality, I'm afraid holding a phone and moving the mouse with a touchpad on a screen twisted 90 degrees at the same time is quite difficult):

Anybody tested this firmware and experienced this problem?
I've just seen that Dougas web-page no longer exists. How can I contact Dougas?
In my opinion, this firmware is based on Gen 2nnn of MC. It has EVPS and ESD version. Absolutely amazing, but, It is a real pity if that problem cannot be fixed: a firmware that cannot be programmed correctly is a potential battery killer.

boeingpilot
Re: Problem With Dougas engeneering Firmware

Not to ask a dumb question, but did you activate it with him? It has a limited time that changes can be made if not activated. That said, XVectrix did answer a post that I put up to see if he was still around. PM him?

So far I've not had these issues and it is working properly on my 2009

2015 Tesla S90D
2009 Vectrix VX-1 Leaf Conversion
1983 Lambretta Lynx
1980 Vespa P200
2013 VW Jetta Hybrid (gone....)

scooterguy

I have been using Dugas firmware for about 8 months and 2000 miles in an 07 with Chevy Volt cells and it works well. It has the ESD charger. There were glitches of course but all is working well. I have no idea if the glitches were the firmware or the bike which I bought non running with controller issues and no battery but all is good now. I did have a problem with the charger firmware spontaneously resetting to an earlier firmware if I really ran the cells low. In scooterdiag does it show the Dugas firmware for the ESD? In the box in the lower right side of the Dugas configurator does the BC show as enabled or whatever word he uses ? This link works but if you click on the Vectrix support box it goes nowhere.There is a phone number you could call. He was quite helpful with questions I had when installing the firmware.

http://www.dugasengineering.com/

R
R's picture

Not to ask a dumb question, but did you activate it with him?

Hi, Thank you for your answer. It is still in test mode, with cycle counting.
Somebody told me it may be an issue related with coma and decimal points.
I'll try to test again with comas.
-------
Update:
Tested again. The suggestion was right! It is a windows OS issue.
If I set all parameters with comas from the beginning, instead of decimal dots, Dougas program runs fine. The moment I introduce a decimal dot, it fails.

I noticed that it is no possible to set values Below 2,5V. Not good if I want to set NIMH parameters.

WhatsApp Image 2016-08-19 at 15.06.52.jpeg

Certainly, I can slice number of cells by half and double their voltage: (102/2) 51 cells, (1,44*2)2,88V max and 2,5V low, but I'd rather prefer to set correct values. This way, if a NIMH cell dies, I just set 101 cells instead of 102.

Aircon

Not to ask a dumb question, but did you activate it with him?

Hi, Thank you for your answer. It is still in test mode, with cycle counting.
Somebody told me it may be an issue related with coma and decimal points.
I'll try to test again with comas.
-------
Update:
Tested again. The suggestion was right! It is a windows OS issue.
If I set all parameters with comas from the beginning, instead of decimal dots, Dougas program runs fine. The moment I introduce a decimal dot, it fails.

I noticed that it is no possible to set values Below 2,5V. Not good if I want to set NIMH parameters.

WhatsApp Image 2016-08-19 at 15.06.52.jpeg

Certainly, I can slice number of cells by half and double their voltage: (102/2) 51 cells, (1,44*2)2,88V max and 2,5V low, but I'd rather prefer to set correct values. This way, if a NIMH cell dies, I just set 101 cells instead of 102.

That's weird. I didn't have that problem using windows 10.

It no longer needs activation. I'm using it on my bike, and I've very grateful to him for this software...it's a 'life saver'

hybride

I switched to Dugasengineering free firmware's a while ago on my 2 scooters. It gives the opportunity to charge the later MC code with ESD charger equipped scooters. I was pleasantly surprised that the driving experience got better for me with this MC code. More smooth, more well-balanced. It is my guess that some motor current settings where changed, like phase current. The ESD code has better charge-logic for Lithium Batteries. (Constant Voltage in the end) Thank you David Dugas for making this possible!

At first a experienced same problem with settings on my Windows 7 Laptop. I was a dot/comma issue.

The firmware has some 'hidden' feautures
- With kill switch enabled and left brake left display can be toggled to show Amperes and Voltage
- With Kill switch enabled push and hold dash 'S' button for 3 seconds, three parameters can be set; charge delay, batterie capacity and Charger output (Watts). For save and exit push en hold dash 'S' button for 3 seconds again.

R
R's picture

Thank you David Dugas for making this possible!

I Agree it is a real improvement for DIY vectrixs.
Thanks David.
Magendanz
Magendanz's picture

The firmware has some 'hidden' features
- With kill switch enabled and left brake left display can be toggled to show Amperes and Voltage
- With Kill switch enabled push and hold dash 'S' button for 3 seconds, three parameters can be set; charge delay, batterie capacity and Charger output (Watts). For save and exit push en hold dash 'S' button for 3 seconds again.

Nice! Is there any documentation on how to use the cruise control and hazard lights?
scooterguy

The cruise control is initiated by beeping the horn and then cranking the throttle full speed briefly. The bike will now hold whatever speed you were riding. You get good at just chirping the horn when no other vehicles are close by. The emergency flashers I don't know and if I did I would probably forget before I needed them, ha ha.

An added note to the left brake S button initiated menu. You operate the left brake handle to scroll through the 3 choices and turn the throttle to raise or lower the settings.

Hope this helps.

Aircon

Beeping the horn? Cruise control is activated by holding the headlight flashing button on mine (but it no longer flashes the headlight)

Galago

I updated my bike to the latest firmware last week.
2 items I noticed almost immediately:
1. the extra text box in the GUI. It is active but I remain skeptical about
the input as the value is editable. Does it provide an input to the software?
I have no clue but was told it is just a remnant of development.
Vx1_sftwr.jpg

2. My CanMon is not receiving some expected data from the CanBus anymore. hmmm. It
performs a Miles/Ahr calculation when driving; however, after the upgrade the result of this
calculation is now 0; and, when the throttle is held steady the Motor Controller bus current
tends to jump somewhat erratically +/- 10-25(or more) at times; this tells me the buss
current reading is either not being averaged anymore or the sample rate has changed
drastically. Also when viewing the CanBus messaging I noticed there appears to be
a reduced number of ID's floating around so it looks like I will have to do some
firmware rewriting of my own......
The level of "customer service" I received during the upgrade was/IS SUPERIOR, and
by far exceeds ANY other vehicle manufacturer I have dealt with in my lifetime.
DItto on the being grateful for having access to this extraordinary resource!!
Thanks!!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage