You can see the project here:
With a Kelly Controller set at 50 amps I have pulled 50 mph as a top speed, but I've geared it lower so the top speed is now 30 mph. (changing the gearing is easy, just get a smaller rear sprocket for $10)
The throttle needs replacement... the hall sensor went out. Plus you have two controllers to pick from.
Currently the bike sits in pieces in my mother's garage and she is in declining health (in a wheelchair) and making a rather sudden move to a nursing facility. I live in Wisconsin these days.
So the price is a fraction of the effort put into it. (literally years)
If you want a fun project at a good price this could be for you.
Email through Craigslist
Mother has moved into Assisted Living. Condo is not going to be sold yet as I'll move out there and live in it for a few years until my mother passes away. This means I'll actually get a chance to use the ebike again and one idea I've toyed with for a long time is to Step Up the voltage to 80 volts using a pair of 20 amp voltage regulators.
Since it's a brushed motor this is easy to do in one step. (not so with brushless)
The advantage is that the gearing can remain low (meaning more torque for the same level of heat) but the top end will come back like I had the bike setup when it was geared taller.
240 Watts of heat won't even cause the motor to heat up. (from past experience)
Downhill it should reach a theoretical maximum of 65 mph.
After I get it perfected then I'll sell it.
Have moved back to care for my mother now.
The ebike has been perfected and I have ridden it at least 5,000 miles.
Works great and a lot of fun.
And I have a fully functioning garage now as long as my mother continues to live... at 85 years old... and unable to walk.
So if anyone wanted to know "Safe" is alive and well.
I'm running a brushless sensorless skateboard motor now at a 10:1 gear reduction through the 219 chain. (10, 100)
Upgraded to Maxxis Hookworm (24") tires and the grip is astonishing.
Two cells in the battery died, so I replaced them with A123 20ah pouch cells and that repair was not too difficult.
New hubs front and rear just to upgrade the quality.
Will be installing new sealed bearing bottom bracket soon as the old style ball and cup now has wear and problems.