Photobucket policy changes --- ransom notices blocking many images

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Webmaster
Webmaster's picture
Photobucket policy changes --- ransom notices blocking many images

It's been brought to my attention (h/t "Bikemad") that a few days ago Photobucket changed their terms of service and no longer allow free hosting of images that are then shared to other sites. Instead that now requires a steep monthly payment.

It's unfortunate - the version of Drupal used for V doesn't have a permission I can turn on allowing users to edit their own comments. That feature exists in Drupal 7, but not in the Drupal 6 that runs V. What I've been waiting for is an opportunity to upgrade direct to Drupal 8 rather than Drupal 7.

Moderators are able to edit comments which would mean: a) a coordinated effort to collaborate on editing comments, b) some people to volunteer as moderators.

That is - fixing the problem means for SOMEONE to edit each affected comment, and switch out the images.

Another option is that anyone who wants to edit their comments themselves, I could assign them (temporarily) the "Moderator Trainee" role, which allows for editing any comment, they edit their own comments to change out the images, and then I remove the Moderator Trainee role.

I have made a permissions change that's probably several years overdue. Every authenticated member (that is - has enough userpoints to post freely) can edit their own POSTS. That doesn't cover COMMENTS, only POSTS.

Bikemad
Bikemad's picture
Re: Photobucket policy changes --- ransom notices blocking ...

I have made a permissions change that's probably several years overdue. Every authenticated member (that is - has enough userpoints to post freely) can edit their own POSTS. That doesn't cover COMMENTS, only POSTS.

Presumably this only work with posts made after the permissions change, as I am still unable to edit most of my previous posts containing the ransom demand, or do replies within a thread I started count as a COMMENTS?

I'm pretty sure that I have always been able to edit my own posts until someone replies to them, at which point they are no longer editable.

I started this thread regarding my charging problem and it contains 11 of my own posts, but the only post I was able to edit and remove Photobucket's ransom demands was the very last post.

Alan

P.S. I have already volunteered to help moderate the forum if you would like me to.

Webmaster
Webmaster's picture
Re: Photobucket policy changes --- ransom notices blocking ...

The permission change only affects the POST -- that is the thing at the top of the discussion thread. Everything else is a COMMENT. Drupal has funny rules about comments. I understand other forum systems call them a "POST".

- David Herron, http://longtailpipe.com/

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage