Can lithium iron phosphate battery be brought back from the dead?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Riverfurm
Riverfurm's picture
Can lithium iron phosphate battery be brought back from the dead?

I have a 2009 (build date 9/08) VX-1 I believe has the stock lithium iron phosphate batteries that are dead (flat) not sure if there is any voltage in them, but the charger will not kick on. Do I use the same procured as the NiMH to bring up the voltage so the on board charger can take over?

Thanks for the help.
I did do a search but did not find anything

R
R's picture
Re: Can lithium iron phosphate battery be brought back from ...

I've used the resurrecter on this batteries. You can recover voltage to check if system works normally. However the damage on these poor quality cells is massive, you will not be able to use them for any daily commute.
http://visforvoltage.org/forum/14292-vectrix-battery-resurrecter#comment-77810

Riverfurm
Riverfurm's picture

Thanks for the info. I have one made up for NiMH batteries. Are the laird's firmware files still available?

Riverfurm
Washington Crossing Pa.
Along the Delaware River

Heavendenied

Are you sure it has Li Cells? As far as i know in 2009 the only available cells fpr Vectrix were NiMh Cells.

I think there are no new lairds firmwares available. The "old" ones should still be found in a download link here in the forum.

Riverfurm
Riverfurm's picture

No I am not sure they are lithium iron phosphate. I have them at work. I will load one up on the trailer and bring home and check. Do you have a link to the firmware download? This one is no longer valid https://app.box.com/s/8z1c1b9009abwyv5r2sl044uvjw1kwev Thanks for the info and help.

Riverfurm
Washington Crossing Pa.
Along the Delaware River

wickedstoked

Did you ever get this pack back to life? I revived a partially overdischarged LiFePO4 8cell 40Ah battery that I used on a trolling motor in my sailboat to get in and out of the marina. The two cells that went below 2V/cell did come back and hold a charge, but their capacity was maybe half of what it should have been... hard to tell because their self discharge was also much worse after that.

On the other hand, if it's actually a NiMh pack at least there is a better chance of getting it back to life from what I've read. I just inherited a dead Vectrix and I'm waiting to make sure I can sort out the title before I spend too much energy on it, but I've been reading a lot about the bike and am pretty excited about it.

R
R's picture

I've been reading a lot about the bike and am pretty excited about it.

With good batteries is a blast to ride, look for 40 kwh leaf modules, you'll get 200+Km with one single charge.
You can reuse nimh for the sailboat, sure they're fine.
Riverfurm
Riverfurm's picture

They are not lithium iron phosphate batteries. They are the NiHM batteries. I did get them up to about 102 volts with an off board charger. But had an issue with one cell that must of been shorted. Replaced it but still had an issue with a battery temp sensor. replaced that and got the onboard charger to work and fully charge the batteries. Seems to be working fine now.

Riverfurm
Washington Crossing Pa.
Along the Delaware River

Mac252381

I have a 2007 VX-1. It went a couple of months with no charge. I charged it with off board trickle charger to 104V, but the on board charger never engaged. I’ve charged it to 150V, but can not get on board charger to engage. This sounds similar to your experience. How did you troubleshoot your problem to find your shorted cell and temp sensor problem?

Riverfurm
Riverfurm's picture

I removed the battery packs and disassembled them and found one cell swollen. Replaced that cell. Had the battery temp light come on and was able to scan the system with my computer and can bus cable. Found the rear battery temp sensor stuck at a very high temp all the time.Replaced it. I hope that helps.

Riverfurm
Washington Crossing Pa.
Along the Delaware River

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage