Battery Charger problems

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
carlos1984
Battery Charger problems

HI Everyone,

I seem to be having a problem with my ECOPED SPARQ, it has a 48v lead acid battery. Yesterday I left it charging on the original charger when I came down i nthe moring , the charger was making a wistleing noise. I opened up the charger and noticed a 220uF 83v capacitor was vented, so I had a 220uF 63V cap around so I used it and then tested the voltage and nothing was going out.

The factory charger has a 2 pin connector, looks like a C13 but with out the middle ground pin. I had a charger for another ebike that was 48v, I bought it from ebay but never used it, it had the same connector but with a 3rd pin shaped like a " T" . I figured since I only need the two outside pins then it should work. My mistake was I never bothered to test it before plugging it in to the Sparq ebike , but it was not working also.
I figured it was a bad charger from ebay, So I bought another charger locally and this one I did bother multi-metering before plugging it in , it was reading 55v, then Iplug it in and again instantly killed. After removing it I tested it again with no volts coming out.

I have a few questions.
1) do different manufacturers change the polarity of the pins even though they use the same style plug? From the second picture I posted, it looks like this could be true.IF si does anyone have a wiring diagram or know what the polarity of this Ecoped Sparq should be.

2) Does this Sparq ebike charger have to sense a load before outputting a charge? the reason I ask is after I replaced the faulty cap, the voltage reading was null, but when I used a led light bulb saw a load it jumped a little to .45v not even 1 volt, not enough to charge a 48v battery.

3) lastly is there such a charger that can sense if the polarity is reversed and protect itself before permanent damage?(probably unlikely)

HTB15lqASpXXXXagapXXq6xXFXXXa.jpg

battery charger connectors.png

Functional Artist
Re: Battery Charger problems

Hello Carlos,
Yes, everyone does everything different.
It is best to always check the polarity when using a new or different charger.
If you can see the wires, red = positive (+) & black = (-) is usually pretty consistent.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Cowart Group Ar...
  • Angeu
  • pitstoparabia
  • drejkus1
  • Billygee

Customize This