Vectrix Faulty ICM??

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
finlaym
Vectrix Faulty ICM??

Hello

I have an issue with my Vectrix VX-1 that I hope someone can help with. I was going up a hill last Fri when the ready light went out and the bike slowed to a stop.
The instrumentation was still on but the lights, horn, indicators and headlight went out but there was a very slight flicker from the rear brake light.
I checked the DC/DC off the MC and it was giving 11.9V which is fine and the feed to the ICM matches this at the ICM connector which is fine. The kill switch and side stand switch are fine as is the traction battery pack.
I disconnected and reconnected the charger plugs which made no difference and did a diagnostic which showed the ICM in red. I have sprayed all the relevant connectors with contact cleaner.
I will do a disconnect and reconnect of the battery pack with an ICL and will reinstall the firmware but I am pessimistic about this resolving the matter.
My best guess is that the ICM is faulty and needs replaced but I took the lid off this and there are no visible signs of damage.
The bike charges OK but the speedometer needle does not move around to tell the charging amps as usual.
Are there any further tests I should do before I source a new ICM or am I totally on the wrong track. ( UK )

Many Thanks,

Finlay

Bikemad
Bikemad's picture
Re: Vectrix Faulty ICM??

As you'll be removing the battery compartment cover anyway, try disconnecting both the front and rear the battery temperature sensor control units, as corrosion on individual battery temperature sensor boards can allow high voltage to travel back through these units into places it shouldn't go.

I had a major charging problem on my blue Vectrix when I purchased it almost 5 years ago and it would not communicate properly with the scooter diagnostic program, but disconnecting both temperature sensor boards instantly enabled proper communication on the CANBUS and the charger has been working fine ever since the boards were disconnected (and I was also able to install the Laird's charging software with the CANBUS working properly again).

Unfortunately, my gut feeling is that disconnecting the units will not have any affect your particular problem, but for what's involved to unplug the two units, I would definitely try disconnecting them first, just in case.

It might also be worth unplugging the rear lamp unit in case there is a short circuit within the lamp unit causing a problem with the ICM.

Alan

Bikemad
Bikemad's picture

I have just been looking at the Vectrix wiring diagrams and it looks like the Motor controller has 4 separate 12V wires going to the ICM:

//i.imgur.com/GLqjnhx.png)

Have you checked all four pins on the ICM connector (19, 23, 27, and 54) for these 12V feeds?

//i.imgur.com/xsZRV84.png)

I'm guessing that they are all common within the controller, so if one is supplying 12V then the others probably will be too, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Alan

finlaym

Alan,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I went through all the connector information and tested all the feeds from the Controller to the ICM - all fine. I also have removed the temperature boards as I am using Lithium Battteries from the Outlander.

Best Regards,

Finlay

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage