Another NiMH -> Leaf Battery upgrade

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
israndy
israndy's picture
Re: Another NiMH -> Leaf Battery upgrade

Schweet! Where did you find cheap Leaf cells? Where are you located, incase you don't want some of your old cells?

Despite all my write-ups about cheap Chinese battery monitors I appear to be going w/o after having dropped my wireless display overboard. If I had known that the Dugas software was so complete I would never have tapped the 12v power connector in the first place which would have saved me a lot of work.

I do recommend getting the Battery Balance boards from China, 'cause they took forever to get here. Otherwise just put the cells together with steel rods and with the bike on it's side slide them sideways into the cavity left by the NiMH and hook it up and install the new firmware. Really quite simple. Don't even need to put the old fans or temp sensors back. I did wedge it in place with blocks of wood front and back. And I filled the holes with hot glue again to prevent water intrusion, but I didn't have a big enough glue gun to actually immobilize the batteries with the glue like the bike came from the factory.

UncleMike1
UncleMike1's picture

I found a guy in Florida who does a lot of EV conversion work and recovers Leaf cells from vehicles. He is proposing the charger / BMS combo but I have an internal debate on how much I would give up with the current integration with the onboard charger. I have yet to see the exact details so I will keep you posted as that materializes.

I live near Chicago. I don't want the old cells at all.

I am not yet at the point where I can even get the system running so monitoring is much further down the road for me.

The temp sensors seemed like a good idea based on the Antiscab youtube video. I assumed they would shut the bike off if they got too hot during discharge, is that not true, or is that not an issue for concern?

My next step, for now, would be just the removal of the old and prep for the cells when they eventually arrive. Two full packs are coming in the next month that I will get mine from. I am happy to wait. The estimated cost of the cells is $1700. I didn't shop around so I don't know if it's reasonable or not but the guy is in the US and very knowledgeable.

Have you considered maybe using angle iron or aluminum bracket to back them?

Mike

2007 Vectrix VX-1 Work In Progress

UncleMike1
UncleMike1's picture

I will try this again.

I found a guy in one of the FB groups who has some experience with Leaf Batteries. He's pretty knowledgeable. I don't know how cheap the cells are, he is asking $100 each for Gen 2. I am in Chicago and you are welcome to my old cells if you want them.

I am not too concerned about the monitoring part just yet. I am still trying to get it booted up. I am considering a BMS, but the article shared previously talked about bottom balancing, which I am still trying to get my head around.

It does seem somewhat straight forward and I appreciate the suggestions. I may reach out if I get stuck if that's ok?

Mike

Kevin_in_VA

Welcome, Mike! I bought my 19 Gen 2 Leaf modules for $1,330 from Tech Direct Club two years ago. The price included 18 bus bars + hardware (needed unless you modify and reuse bus bars from your NiMH pack), compression plates (I used them and actually have some extras, but not everyone compresses their packs), and threaded rods + nuts (too short for a 19-module pack, so I bought longer rods from Home Depot). Had I been thinking at the time, I would have also purchased the factory Nissan orange/white plastic covers with BMS wiring for a cleaner install (which probably requires compressing the pack). I have since picked the covers up but have yet to install them. I will likely use that wiring plus the balance boards that israndy bought, unless I magically find a good/cheap BMS option in the meantime.

UncleMike1
UncleMike1's picture

Thanks for the insight Kevin. Tech Direct Club doesn't seem to have any in stock. My contact told me a lot of the salvage Leafs are being sold and exported to other countries. So, the cost is going up. If anyone has a good source, let me know.

Thanks!

Pages

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Josean
  • Irishk
  • Molten-Core
  • Bamba
  • brentlybuilt@gm...

Support V is for Voltage