Hills: What bike for 1600 Vertical feet in 8.5 miles

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
EV
Hills: What bike for 1600 Vertical feet in 8.5 miles

My commute is about 8.5 miles from Boulder, Colorado. The first 6.5 miles is somewhat gradual and rises 1100 vertical feet. The last 1.5 miles rises another 600 feet on a bumpy dirt road.

I am thinking of buying a used Lashout Electrec. I could probably upgrade the motor and batteries. I am not that interested in speed just some help uphill. Reliable 10 mph on average would be fine.

I am hesitant about the hub motors due to traction, torque, durability and weight issues. I think rear weel drive would be best.

I have done the ride on an Currie's new Ezip with 24v and 20 AH of batteries and it's the last 1.5 miles that's the killer. I just barely make it

My budget is around $500-1000.

What do you suggest?.

andrew
andrew's picture
Re: Hills: What bike for 1600 Vertical feet in 8.5 miles

do you still have the Currie? I'd get a 24v 7ah pack to put in parallel with the existing pack. That will probably be sufficient. Another option is to use NiMH batteries.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

echuckj5
echuckj5's picture

EV,

That is a killer grade. I built the cheetah, look at my scott motor threads. That izip, what are its specs? hub motor, type of battery etc. Is it a bike? or scooter, moped?

I don't feel like doing a lot of math tonight, got up at 4 am, but real simply,

The izip has a 24 volt pack, 20 amp hour. It holds 24*20 watts of energy, or, 480 watts. You have a 1700 ft climb, or 1600ft? what do you weight? say you way 150lbs, the bike weight, say a 100lbs. About 250lbs. Time, about an hour, right? is it 8 or 8.5 miles? Are you in good shape?

Making sure your numbers are right before I do the math,
chuck

[b]AGM BATTERIES[/b]

echuckj5
echuckj5's picture

(1700ft*250lbs) = work = 425,000 ftlbs

1hp = 550ftlb/sec

8.5miles/(10miles/hour)= .85 hours*3600sec/1 hour = 3060sec

work/time (425000/3060)= 138.88ft/sec
(x)550ftlbs/sec = 138.88 ftlbs/sec
(x) = 138.88/550 = .2525hp about a 1/4 horsepower..

add about 4 lbs of resistance, just guessing over 8.5 miles
4lbs*8.5miles*5280ft/mile = 180000ftlbs
(x)550ftlb/s = 1800000/3060sec = 59ftlbs/sec
59/550 = .10 horsepower, about,

.25hp + .1 hp = (.35 hp)

A very well made 1/3 horsepower motor, 250 watts, geared correctly, would do the job. But, I know such motor for the lashout, there is someone on the web where a guy makes different gear ratios and better motors for the lashout, one of the major dealers, see if they have the gears you need, about double the stock ratio would be sufficient. I'd shoot for a least a 500 watt aftermarket motor. But if you can't get the gear ratio, forget the lashout.

chuck

[b]AGM BATTERIES[/b]

Deafscooter
Deafscooter's picture

Ask Deafscooter

Craig do Modding your Ebike make strong hill climb at 10-15 mph for your weight to hill climbing ratio

using Custom made motor like Monster motor or Modding rad2go to 4000 watts with 48 volts from cells

Also why-not "two wheel drive" > one motor for rear wheel and one motor for front wheel to make power
-

Here is my Draft drawing look like this custom or modding on elecrtric bike for hillclimb as (Randy Draper)
twomtrbike.jpg
=
=
=

Remeber this Randy Draper ==> this 36 miles Hill Climbing & there cheated by human powered pedding
randy_0.jpg
=
=

Craig Uyeda
Deafscooter

deafscooter

EV

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for the delayed reply. I thought I would get an email when a post is made. My bicycle is a "Currie" EZIP with a 450 Watt 24V 20A Max motor. I weigh 170 lbs.

I initial tested the bike by doing 2 rides each with roughly the same number of vertical feet. With a fresh and new sla 24v 10 AH. It could do the ride fine With both batteries on the bike, it just barely made it. I suppose I could have overtaxed the batteries.

I just bought a 9ah 24V NIMH battery and charger from batteryspace.com and will see how that does.

Any more ideas?

Here is the specs and link on my bike. http://www.currietech.com/html/07_ezip_main_prod.html
TRAILZ SPECS

MOTOR
450W of power from a DC Earth Magnet Motor

BATTERY
EV Rated SLA Type
Rear Rack Mounted
24V / 10AH Pack
(2) 12V / 10AH Valve regulated, rechargeable

CHARGE SYSTEM
UL Listed Currie Smart Charger with LED status display

CONTROLLER
Exclusive Currie Electro Drive 24 Volt fully potted

TOP SPEED
18 mph / 29 kph (rider weight contingent)

RANGE
Up to 15 - 22 miles / 24 - 35 km with normal pedaling (rider weight contingent)

DRIVE
Patented Currie Electro Drive System with speed specific gearing, Shimano 7-Speed Gearing

BRAKES
Alloy Linear Pull with Alloy Brake Inhibit Lever

WHEELS
Alloy 26 x 2.0" rims

TIRES
Currie E-Ride Street Comfort tires 26 x 2.00"

HANDLEBAR / STEM
High-Rise Bar and Adjustable Rise Stem with Kraton Grips

FORK
Suspension

USER CONTROLS
Power On/Off Switch, Easy Access Charger Port in Removable Battery Pack, Twist Throttle

SADDLE
Comfort Design, Q/R Alloy Post

FRAME
Exclusive Comfort Design, Unisex LSH (Low Stand-Over Height) High-Tensile Steel

CRANK & PEDALS
Alloy 44T crankset w/PAS function, Double Chainguard; resin dual sided pedals

NET WEIGHT
76 lbs / 35 kg

RIDER AGE & MAX WEIGHT
Young Adult to Adult / Do Not Exceed 240 lbs / 109 kg

EV

andrew
andrew's picture

Can you carry both packs with you? I've heard the D cells from batteryspace have kind of high internal resistance so they might not provide as much power as the SLA pack. I'd take it up as a range extender pack and switch it in for the last mile or whenever the SLAs get weak.

Additionally you can leave the NiMH pack discharged so using this method you wouldn't need to charge it every ride if you don't discharge it much.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

I would suggest a bike with gears. This would give you the ability to pull steep hills in lower gears and still have some speed on the return trip by using the higher gears. A smaller motor with gears can out climb a larger motor which is geared for either a compromise of climbing ability and speed or geared for speed only. Of course a larger motor geared for hills would do a better but may not give you the range you need. I built one bike with a 500-Watt motor using a 3-speed Nexus hub running on 36-volts. This bike could climb your hill easily in first gear. The top speed up the hill would be about 10 MPH but if you pedal with it you could maintain 12 MPH with no problem. On the return trip the same bike could reach around 25 MPH down the hill without pedaling. The range of my bike on hilly roads was 18-miles. (500-watt motor 36-volts 12-AH) I have since redesigned the bike to have a larger motor and more gears (7-speed Nexus) for more speed but still keep my hill climbing ability because of the very hill roads in my area. I hope this gives you an alternative you may not have thought of.

Chas S.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage