XB600 ride feedback and question

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
gushar
XB600 ride feedback and question

Ok. I can't provide any "tests" like the experts on here are doing with the XM2000...but wanted to share this with those who have the XB600....and I know...some of you don't consider it a "scooter" but rather an e-bike...but I think it's more a scooter. I took the chain off and didn't install pedals from day one...and only ride it on it's own power. Besides you couldn't pedal the thing effectively if your life depended on it!

Anyway, as I've mentioned here or there my trips are short. I ride maybe 2-3 miles max most of the time...around my neighborhood...to my workplace which only takes 7 minutes from my house...through neighborhood roads, parking lots, etc. Yet I've really wanted to ride the thing for at least 20 miles without stopping just to see if the battery meter would actually drop any! Didn't even know if the thing was working...although under a load on hills I could see it move slightly. So anyway, it dawned on me that the "industrial park" near my home had all these flat level streets (used to be a Navy base) and a very large area. So, I figured out a side street path to get there and went for a ride there last weekend. I rode all over that place around, across, street after street (the place virtually has no traffic) and it was a very relaxing ride. BTW, this place is mostly "light industry" so there are no obnoxious polluting industries located here...more high tech, etc. So, I did stop a few times just to feel the motor to see if it was hot. Warm some but never really hot. And by the time I rode back home and around the neighborhood a few times I hit 20+ miles. Well, the batt meter did drop some toward the end under power...more than I ever saw it...but still not much. I also could not detect any real power loss like I've experienced with my other scooters when the batteries begin to go down. I'm sure I could have ridden probably at least 10 more miles...and maybe more with no problem. So, once again I'm just absolutely impressed with the performance of my XB600.

And to all of you folks discussing the XM2000 batteries...I have a question. Ok, if I'm only bringing down the charge in my batts alittle since I normally don't ride more than a few miles...then does that mean I'm stressing the batts alot less and I should get longer life than if I rode a long way and deeply discharged them alot? Next question....do I also understand correctly that even though I'm plugging in and charging each time I ride even if my ride isn't but for 5-10 minutes (to keep batts from desulfication)...that isn't necessarily bad in terms of "charging cycles" because I should be more of those due to the fact that I'm not deeply discharging the batts?

Gushar

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: XB600 ride feedback and question

And to all of you folks discussing the XM2000 batteries...I have a question. Ok, if I'm only bringing down the charge in my batts alittle since I normally don't ride more than a few miles...then does that mean I'm stressing the batts alot less and I should get longer life than if I rode a long way and deeply discharged them alot? Next question....do I also understand correctly that even though I'm plugging in and charging each time I ride even if my ride isn't but for 5-10 minutes (to keep batts from desulfication)...that isn't necessarily bad in terms of "charging cycles" because I should be more of those due to the fact that I'm not deeply discharging the batts?

Yes, your batteries should last a long time. If you usually only do 2 or 3 miles and the batteries seem good for 20 to 30 miles then you're only going to 10% Depth of Discharge (DOD) and your batteries should last a long time. There is one effect you should be aware of - people often condition their batteries by doing 2 or 3 complete discharge cycles (i.e. 100% DOD or about 20 to 30 miles in your scenario). They do this to improve the capacity of the battery. I think you've "missed your chance" to do this - however, it doesn't sound like this is a big deal because you don't need the extended capacity.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

jbird
Re: XB600 ride feedback and question

To answer your questions briefly. Your situation will give you very good performance from your batteries because you have a low DOD (depth-of-charge) and immediately charge after each ride to prevent sulfation. Also, your batteries will break-in from normal usage and do not require any special procedure. The lower depth of discharge will just take more cycles to reach maximum capacity. The only caveats I would give is to monitor your charger (too high or low bulk and/or float charge especially at different temperatures, catastrophic charger failure) and watch out for imbalance among the four batteries; otherwise, you should get 1000+ cycles from the batteries. You can see in Figure 25 in the link below how depth of discharge affects both cycle-life and time to maximum capacity.

http://www.bb-battery.com/manual_page27.asp

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage