Chinese 2000W Mopeds - any good?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
superbrudd
Chinese 2000W Mopeds - any good?

I've come across a few 2000W scooters manufactured in China, and they seem quite cheap to source samples of. For example:

This One
//www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00TMAEvewCftbWM/2000w-Latest-Model-Electric-Motorcycle-KD-EM06-.jpg)

This one
//www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00pMjtPqzGIQgoM/500w-1500w-2000w-Electric-Scooter-with-EEC-Homologation.jpg)

I know that as they are only around US$1000, they will probably be low quality. But at that price, is it worth it? Does anyone have any advice on potential dangers of sourcing these from China?

Cheers,
Brad

PJD
PJD's picture
Re: Chinese 2000W Mopeds - any good?

I assume that you are a dealer or a potential dealer. The quality is variable.

Few things come to mind from an end-user perspective:

You should avoid those that come with "silicone" batteries.

Nearly every potential customer will want 35-45 mph performance, avoid the speed restricted ones.

You really need to plan on doing dealer testing and prep on every one you sell. Nearly every one will have some shipping damage and some factory defects - loose bolts or such.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

I kind of agree with PJD.

1) Avoid ones with low quality batteries. The Silicone ones, thus far, have all appeared low quality when used at the amp draw necessary. However, not all AGM batteries are created equal - but we don't have as much data on the AGM brands that might be fitted.
2) Nearly every customer will want as fast as possible. However, this is qualified by the fact that a lot of customers will want to register the bike as a moped. Moped requirements vary from state to state - but usually a top speed of 30mph comes into play. When speaking to the supplier ask if they can fit a speed limiter that would be easy for you (the dealer) to remove. That way you can sell them as mopeds because they have a factory fitted limiter and the MCO should state the limited values. You can remove the factory limiter for those who wish to register it as a motorcycle.
3) Most bikes in this range would benefit greatly from a pre-delivery inspection - but I wouldn't state it quite as strongly as PJD. I.e. I think you can successfully sell with shipping directly to the customers without opening the box - especially if you make sure you pay the factory to pack them well. It all depends on whether you want to create a Vectrix level of experience or an EVT of America level of experience. Vectrii sell for $12K and there's a traditional established dealership with PDI, service etc. Z-20s (and XM2000s) sell for $2500 ($2000 for the XM2K) but are shipped to the customer with no pre-delivery inspection.
4) Make sure the bikes all come with a VIN and an MCO, that those papers are consistent and that the box is clearly marked with the VIN so that you can supply the correct MCO to the customer (assuming you ship direct to the customer - if you do the registration yourself then you won't need to provide the customer with the MCO (but you will need it yourself)).
5) In some states it appears that the brand must be registered with the state DMV - Florida is the only one I've heard of that requires this. So, that's a hurdle to cross.
6) In some states (Virginia springs to mind) one has to be a registered motorcycle dealer to sell anything classified as a motorcycle.
7) Not all 2000W motors are equal. You need to understand the basics of electric motor design before figuring out what they're selling you. I.e. different winding types give different power, multiple windings can give a high speed and low speed, the controller can also give a high speed and low speed. Assuming you're in this for the long haul then I'd educate yourself on this stuff. John Bidwell's El Ninja book is a good starting point. Bob Brant's Build Your Own Electric Vehicle has a more detailed treatment of the subject.

Usatracy should probably post his long list of why becoming an importer is fraught with risk and that the risks probably outweigh the potential benefit at this time (unless you have deep pockets and a high risk tolerance). I tend to agree with most of his list (can't remember it off the top of my head though). If he doesn't post then send him a message - he'll most likely reply.

If I were going to get serious about importing something different and new then I think I'd attempt to form a cooperative so that a group of "early adopters" could share the risk and then share the rewards when later waves of folks buy in.

BTW, that second picture you post looks awfully like an XM-2000 in different colors ;-)

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

The new XM2k BumbleBee! For those who like to buzzzz around town. :D

I wonder if we could get Sting to buy one.

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Good idea - perhaps we could also do a tie in with Seinfeld, American Express and the new Bee Movie?

Quick, someone send a free one to Spielberg and soon everyone in Hollywood will be riding one... ;-)

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Mountain chen

These kind of 2000W motor is not actual 2000W copper winding and structure.... you may have a look to motor detail.

Many chinese factory use 500W or 800W motor and increase current to enlarge power,this is not final solution,it damage the battery and motor soon.

Only 60V battery system could bear the 2000W or 3000W power in scooter,other wise the current would be too big.

electricgreg
electricgreg's picture

That is really good information mountain chen.

Another thing to look out for when buying evs.

superbrudd

Thanks all for the good information... definitely food for thought.

Revolted
Revolted's picture

And I would investigate the cost savings of shipping without batteries, leaves you more options for powering and wont leave you stuck with obsolete stock if battery options suddenly change on you and may save on shipping costs.

Some customers will want to buy without batteries, I think 10 to 20 percent here on this system alone may fall into that category.

This is a really great idea. I suspect most scooters are fitted with cheap AGMs that might not last long. I'd need to do more testing, but I think there's a lot of AGM batteries on the market that will fail rather quickly. If you can get the scooters from the manufacturer without batteries this would be a huge plus IMO.

http://www.electricmotorsport.com sells some of their scooters with B&Bs and I don't think the scooter manufacturers supply their scooters with these.

As for more testing, I recommend licensing the scooter and using it for personal transportation. This will put enough wear on the components to tell if they will really stand up to abuse. Probably a lot of stuff will fail but it will at least give you an idea of the quality to differentiate between scooters. This chinese stuff is usually good enough to work out of the box, but not good enough to keep working for long.

I'd also recommend offering a battery balancing system installed as an option when you plan to sell them. This is pretty much necessary for the batteries, but kind of expensive so the manufacturers don't install them yet. Also reliable battery balancers have not been on the market long such as BattEQ and Powercheq.

'

Yahoo IM: re_volted
Revolted
Moderator Team

andrew
andrew's picture

The last reply was from me. Forgot to login with the right account.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

Ben

The E-fun ones are supplied with BB batteries so perhaps there are others???

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage