Endless-sphere

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture
Endless-sphere

*rant*
So I've given up on that place. I thought this place was paranoid about hackers; LOL the admins there are running scared. It's only a matter of time before their code is broken and the place hacked to bits. At least that's the feeling I get when I think about their screwy registration tactics.

Oh, then there's the youngest of the bunch, TylerDurden, who apparently doesn't get enough attention from his mum. Not his fault if he's got idiot parents, but you'd think he'd try to improve himself before acting a fool in public.

LOL
*/rant*

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture
Re: Endless-sphere

A.F.

I gather from your *rant* that endless is about to end. I am sorry to hear that because the site does have lots of good information with some good images to help people link me who don't like to read the instructions.

Chas S.

davew
davew's picture

I think they'll be fine. The software they are using seems particularly susceptible to spammers, hence the registration crack down, but I have seen nothing to indicate that the site as a whole is in trouble. I talked to Fechter about my difficulties in logging in. Hopefully they'll get it sorted out.

There was a discussion over there a while ago about how our two forums should relate to each other. I think we both benefit by each other's existence. The boards use different software, have different moderation styles, and different areas of expertise. Members can sort out for themselves which they prefer. Many probably go to both. I sure do, although I spend about 90% of my time over here... mostly trying to keep signatures to a reasonable size.

(Just a little joke there, Chas.)

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

Fechter
Fechter's picture

EndlessSphere is not about to end anytime soon. We were getting a lot of people who were registered members that were actually spammers. We simply deleted the spam posts, but there were like 10 spam posts a day and it was getting old.

The filtering is a bit odd I'll admit, but it certainly does the job. The registration questions have been recently changed to be a bit more user friendly.

The nice thing about having more than one forum around is people can hang out where they feel more comfortable.

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

I agree on having more than just one forum, choice is alway nice. But as for the registration, how many real people try to sign up and can't (maybe get stuck on the Betelgeuse question)? Or get fooled like me (twice) on the question you should not answer? Why even post a question to it? Bots can't frigg'n read.

Q: Do not select any options (leave blank):
A: []Do []Not []Click []Any []Option

If it's a human spammer, none of the questions matter because they'll eventually get through just like me. Eventually.

With all the IQ questions in registration, how in the hell did TylerDurden get in? LOL!

LMAO!

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

reikiman
reikiman's picture

On this site we do get occasional user signups where it's obviously a spambot, but they never manage to post anything. Drupal has some modules to help with this.. I gather ArcticFox would not appreciate a captcha system to be enabled..

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

I did suggest a CAPTCHA.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2478&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15#33656

But just like Einstein, they apparently ignored me. :)

<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

Fecther,

I am very glad to hear endless is just that endless and will be with us for the future. Good to know our neighbor site is still alive and kicking. For those of you who may not have found endless just follow this link.

Endless-sphere

Just remember where you got it and come back and see us here too.

Chas S.

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

That's funny. Just last night a was reading a thread where people were here, left and went to ES, and vow not to return.

I think maybe putting up a banner on the top that says "Gman is Banzored" might bring them back. :D

Fechter
Fechter's picture

Maybe it would!

I thought the questions were changed recently to be a bit more member friendly.
The captcha thing keeps bots out, but our main problem was actual humans.

Spam posts dropped to zero when the new registration process was implemented, so it does work. It works a bit too good is the problem. The questions were made easier (I thought). We'll work to fine tune things to get a balance between user friendliness and spammer unfriendliness.

You never get any spam posts here?

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

Fechter,

That is because we them away.

Later ,
Chas S.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Nope. Well, some of the humans who post here who are dealers sometimes ride the edge of spam postings ;-) but that's kinda understandable. They ought to be excited about the products they're selling, right?

There are automated spambots that know how to post on Drupal sites. I've had that with my other sites. Captcha has stopped them cold. And as I said earlier we've had some apparent spambots join V as members with names like aQs99goNk but they've never gone beyond joining. There are a couple modules to try out and see which is best. The Drupal captcha module wasn't working so well for a long time, and they recently got it working again.

MB-1-E
MB-1-E's picture

Spam posts dropped to zero when the new registration process was implemented

... I imagine new memberships (that get to post a new thread) did as well ... hehe, that's quite the Rube Goldberg operation to get in ...

... I'm still pending ... that only took a long while to get this far.
There must be a better way but whatever works, I guess :?

torto2.gif

... ;)

How long does the pending process take ... or maybe it got caught in my Spam Filter ... how ironic would that be?

Dave B

MB-1-E
<a href="http://visforvoltage.org/book-page/996-mountain-bike-conversion-24v-3-4h... - Bridgestone MB-1 Mountain Bike</a>

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage