Winterizing recommendations

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Winterizing recommendations

Well it snowed here this morning (just wispy stuff in the wind)...

What are folks recommendation for winterizing the batteries in a scooter? Should one take them out of the scooter (which is kept in an detached outside building with no heat)? Specifically I have Silicone batteries - do these things freeze if it gets cold enough? Should I just charge the batteries, take them out and put them in the basement until spring?

Thanks.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: Winterizing recommendations

OK - if this page is to be believed then I have no worries (if it gets less than -70 centigrade I'm leaving for good!): http://www.siliconebatteriesusa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=34

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

jbird
Re: Winterizing recommendations

The best and safest thing to do would be to remove all the batteries, individually charge them to 100% with a 12V charger, and then leave them on a 12V float charger until you are ready to use them again. You could also just biweekly charge each battery if you did not want to just leave them on a float charger. You could do it all with one 12V smart charger provided it put out enough amps to charge and maintain all the batteries connected in parallel to each other. I am a little paranoid so I use a surge protector and a UPS together at all times to protect the chargers and batteries from power surges too. You could hook all the batteries together in series and use your regular string charger but you risk voltage imbalance leading to overcharging and undercharging of individual batteries.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage