Noob needs some guidance ride-on cooler project.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
hendu
Noob needs some guidance ride-on cooler project.

Hello all.
I'm starting my first of hopefully many ev projects and need some information from those of you who have been there before.

My first project is pretty simple.
I'm making a ride on cooler out of the stuff I have laying around. I have the rear end to an old fisher price mx3 pocket bike. It has the motor, wheel, tension pully, and brake already attached. I will use this as my front wheel, unfortunately the person who gave me the sawed off rear end cut the wires at the motor so I do not have any kind of controller for it. For now I plan on using the stock 12v 100w motor that is on it, but in the future I would like to upgrade to 300w. What I need to know is, what is a not too expensive motor controller that will work for current and future motor? I don't need anything fancy, I just need it to slowly ramp up the current so I don't put a lot of strain on the belt when I start out.

Thanks,
-hendu

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: Noob needs some guidance ride-on cooler project.

Well, the fact that it's a 12V motor poses a bit of a problem. I don't know of any speed controllers made for such a low voltage. The lowest you can get is a 24V.

In my opinion, you should just overvolt the motor. You probably will be very unhappy/frustrated with 100W.

In regards to the belt: If you're worried about it breaking, see if you can get another one. Cheap controllers will not slowly ramp up the current like you want. None that I know about anyway. You could could probably rig up a relatively simple circuit to slow down the throttle, but it could get annoying.

You got a camera? I wanna see this when you're done.

Oh, yeah. How many cans will it hold?

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

hendu

Ok, I will just try and pump 24v into it initially. I ended up buying one of these.

Speed Control

Not sure if that is going to work or not. I'm not sure which wires to plug the throttle into. :?

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

For those not familiar with this controller (like me), here's what hendu is looking at on wiring:

Speed Controller 2403 Installation and Wiring
Power Connector Plug
Motor Connector Plug
Turn Signal Connector (1)
Turn Signal Connector (2)
Turn Switch Connector
Charger Connector
Control Panel Connector
Brake Signal Connector
Pilot Lamp Connector

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

Use code&quot;Solar22&quot; and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage