Snow build up in Ego belt drive cog

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
mopedtedd
Snow build up in Ego belt drive cog

I've been riding my eGo 2 LX daily for almost 3 years now. One problem I encountered last winter was snow build up in the rear wheel drive cog. At that time so much snow got compacted into the teeth of the cog that it expanded the effective diameter and snapped the drive belt, resulting in a $40 learning experience.

I've noticed it happening again this winter. So far I've tried mounting a brush on the fender to scrape snow off the tire (where I believed it was coming from). But the problem persists so it must be coming from other places too. The only absolute remedy I've found is to stop and pour hot water (from a thermos) onto the cog until the ice buildup melts.

Has anyone developed an alternate solution to this? I thought of spraying the cog with some kind of non-stick compound (like teflon), but was concerned that this would promote belt skipping.

Any suggestions appreciated,
thanks,
tedd

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: Snow build up in Ego belt drive cog

Wow!! some of you guys amaze me with your commitment to your transportation decisions! I take my hat off to you.

My suggestion would be to try some de-icer - the type you get in an aerosol from the auto-parts stores. I hesitate to suggest this because it will be probably be shot down as "ecologically unsound" - but there is a point in time you have to choose the best tool for the job...

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: Snow build up in Ego belt drive cog

Interesting...

Any way you can mount that brush to wipe it off the cog itself?

Either that or go with the de-icer idea. Ecologically whatever. Deal with it. It's either the environment or your scooter.

You know, you can run most household stuff that doesn't have any electronics in it off of DC. I think 48V or up will run a hairdryer Sticking out tongue.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage