Charging Scooters at a Charging Station...

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
DonCristobal
DonCristobal's picture
Charging Scooters at a Charging Station...

There are a lot of charging stations around the SF Bay Area, does anyone know if it is possible to charge up an electric scooter there? Do they have 110 outlets? If not, could a person take advantage of the Avcon or Small Paddle charging they provide?

Thanks.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Charging Scooters at a Charging Station...

There usedta be a map of the charging stations. Ah.. a bit of yahoogling and I find this: http://www.evchargernews.com/

I believe the paddle chargers are not conductive and are unique to vehicles that accept paddle inputs. As I recall they are inductive.

However the AVCON style chargers are conductive and it's possible to build an adaptor to accept them. I remembered that some organization has such an adaptor and eventually found this:

http://www.eaaev.org/eaamerchandise.html

And

http://www.movingcam.com/EV/avconbox.pdf

However the AVCON is a 220 v thingy. And the eaaev.org converter box looks a little large to be carrying on a scooter of the sort you are about to receive. But, gosh, that strikes an interesting thought in my thinking. There are a lot of these charging stations around, and only a few have a regular 120v outlet.

antiscab

with regards to the 220v...is that single or 3phase?
if its single, you could buy a second 220v charger, such as the one used in the Australian market.
If its 3 phase things could b trickier....you could wire 3 single phase chargers to accept 3 phase.

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

DonCristobal
DonCristobal's picture

5432+74482

Thanks David, that's exactly what I was searching for. I wonder though, knowing so little about such things, after taking down to 220 and then 110, am I going to get way too many amps or will the on board charger correct this. I'm thinking it's likely to fry.

1234+194851

Don Cristobal
EVTA Z-20b
---
Ohm is where the heart is.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

after taking down to 220 and then 110, am I going to get way too many amps or will the on board charger correct this. I'm thinking it's likely to fry.

Uh.. the onboard charger is gonna take 120v and do whatever it does to interface with the battery pack. If you're lucky the onboard charger will autosense the input voltage and handle having a higher voltage, like 240v. It's just like the charger on a laptop or cell phone after all, and most of those can take 220/240v. However I looked at the Soneil website this morning and most of their chargers are either 120v or 220/240v and only one can handle both.

DonCristobal
DonCristobal's picture

With respect to the size of that converter on your link, I think it might be small enough to fit in the bike trunk, although I do wonder how much it weighs...

Don Cristobal
EVTA Z-20b
---
Ohm is where the heart is.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage