Bug in the system? Or intended way of stopping long posts?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Bug in the system? Or intended way of stopping long posts?

Hi,

I had a really long post (33K of text) that I wanted to make. When I preview it the system kicks me out saying "connection reset". As soon as I do a short post and preview it accepts it. (usatracy also complained of connection reset issues - and I suspect he might have been suffering from the same limitation).

Now, I can accept that there might be a need to limit post lengths. However, it would be better if the system enforced those limits in other ways.

I haven't lost any work so it's not a big deal. I'll just have to resort to other means to get my message to the folks I want to get my message to.

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Bug in the system? Or intended way of stopping long posts?

Hi John,

you probably do something like it already:

I copy the text from the editing box on the forums into a text editor; it can then be pasted back into a forum at any time with all the links, photos etc intact.

Could it be that the "connection reset" was caused by someone posting a comment whilst you were still editing your entry?
I think that happened to me once.

With the copy and past method one can work on lengthy entries for multiple sessions before ever posting it. Just compose your post ("compost"?? :-)) as if you were going to post it, then past into text editor on your computer, and close your post without posting it.
Next time you have time to work on it you past the text into a new post entry and repeat the process, until it's ready to be actually posted.

Cheers,

Mr Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

reikiman
reikiman's picture

I don't think post size is it. What you're describing is no where near these size limits:-

; Maximum size of POST data that PHP will accept. post_max_size = 20M ... ; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files. upload_max_filesize = 20M

However the server does have resource constraints in terms of the maximum number of sessions which can be active at a given time. I don't know for sure what happens in cases when there are too many sessions going on.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

You typed 6600 words on a freakin forum post. Are you kidding me?

Hey I got this report to do on what sort of cooking jobs and such are available for my culinary class. Wanna do it for me?

>>> He posted 30680 1's here. It worked, but it screwed up the page formatting
>>> Drupal doesn't like lines that are 30860 characters long.
>>> -- The management (davew)

30680 characters there. You were gonna post something longer :O.

Worked for me, anyway.

EDIT: I have to say, that would have been a pretty epic post. Hats off to you!

EDIT2: Dude, you weren't seriously going to post something this long were you? Cause, damn, that is a lot of typing. I mean...damn, man.

Geeze even Google spellcheck doesn't want to look at it, and that's not an exaggeration.

EDIT3: There is no way you were gonna type that much. I take it you must have meant kiloBITs? Because it's lowercase for kilobit.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Link - Thanks Link you normally seemed like such a sensible guy - but all those 1's ? Not helpful. Yes, it really is that long - that's the size File Exploder lists - which is the size the file allocation table thinks it is. It might be fewer characters. (a) I'm verbose and (b) I'm trying to explain my reasoning behind an open source style of business. I was planning on emailing not posting anyway - the small problem being there's a spreadsheet to go with it and I couldn't attach and email from within V.

Mik - yep that's what I do but thanks for the tip.

David - OK, perhaps the size/length of the post makes it more likely for some form of contention issue to arise (as suggested by others). I strongly suspect that size is a factor because the order of business was:
(a) my posts worked fine all morning
(b) my mega-post bombed during preview
(c) I tried shortening it to the first paragraph and it previewed fine
(d) I retried it as a long post and it bombed during preview
(e) I posted this message and it previewed and posted fine.

Yes, I'd likely have to do it at least two or three more times in a row to be more definitive but it looks at least a little suspect to me.

No big deal - it's not like more than 1 person in 1000 would actually have read it! ;-)

Thanks for the responses (apart from all those freakin' 1's - what were you thinking?

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

That's odd. It screwed up the page format? Really? How so?

It wasn't a straight line of 1s. When I previewed the post, it ran off the side, so I put a bunch of returns at the end so it wouldn't have a problem.

And actually, I wanted to see if I had the same problem you did. I was going to delete it after someone had seen it, but then I was late for bowling and had to leave on my non (curses) motorized bike. Sorry!

On an unrelated note: My average speed (guessing) was about 20mph :). Come to think of it, what's the deal with that speed limit on motorized bikes? "A motorized bicycle cannot go over 20mph, even when assisted by human power" (paraphrasing). I can do nearly thirty just by myself. What gives?

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

davew
davew's picture

That's odd. It screwed up the page format? Really? How so?

Drupal does not like long lines that are unbroken by spaces or tabs. It will cause the page to be very wide. The effect is that the controls on the right side of the screen get pushed off the page. We most usually see it when people post very long link names. I usually fix this when I see it by turning the links into references with shorter names. Hopefuly Drupal can address this issue sometime.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Drupal does not like long lines that are unbroken by spaces or tabs. It will cause the page to be very wide. The effect is that the controls on the right side of the screen get pushed off the page. We most usually see it when people post very long link names. I usually fix this when I see it by turning the links into references with shorter names. Hopefuly Drupal can address this issue sometime.

I would say it that Drupal doesn't care what we do, drupal is just a piece of software and doesn't itself have any preferences. That I know of. Um, I haven't asked Drupal so maybe it's sulking in a corner because I didn't bother to ask it what it thinks. ;-)

Uh.. Drupal displays what we give it. The browser interpolates a long line of unbroken text as unbroken text, right? And our browsers are only so many pixels wide, right? This is true for any web site, not just Drupal. The same behavior (wide text causing the screen to go extra wide) happens on the motley fool message boards, for example.

What Dave says he does - I also do. If I see a long link I'll edit the post to turn the link into something that's a bit more user friendly and shorter width.

However there is another solution that's possible. One can specify in CSS a setting of 'overflow-horizontal: scrolled' which would cause any wide context to instantiate a horizontal scrollbar so that you can scroll the text back and forth.

In any case I also see that usatracy's testing reveals that disabling the collapsiblock module fixes the problems he's had. I also notice that Alias has uploaded a new user avatar, of a bridge in Portland (??), and she'd also been having some site troubles so it indicates that her problems aren't existing now.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage