OK, here's one for the techies:
What functions would the ideal large scooter or motorbike controller have? If you could say to Alltrax or Curtis "build me this" then what features would it have?
Here's my start:
1) Integrate logging functions (controller voltage in, controller voltage out, amps in, amps out, temperature, speed, individual battery voltages) with non-volatile storage in the controller
2) Allow dealer programmable max speed and max power parameters (i.e. make it easy for dealer in State X match that states moped laws)
3) Allow user programmable speed profiles (but don't allow them to exceed the dealer programmable top speed)
4) Integrate a "reserve power" function - when the batteries get down to X percent depth of discharge reduce the max power output to Y percent of maximum. For example at 80% depth of discharge cut the power to 33% of max. X and Y to be set by the dealer. The idea is to allow the rider to "limp along" to their first charging opportunity without killing the batteries (even just setting the low voltage cut off higher isn't good enough because prats like me will just cycle the throttle on and off and limp along that way merrily killing the poor batteries)
5) Output all that logging data at 10Hz over serial, USB or Bluetooth to allow the addition of a digital display panel
6) Provide a nice Windows interface for setting all the above stuff - but also publish the protocol so that I can make my own programming device (e.g. build it into the digital display with a touchscreen based GUI).
7) I'd like the following versions: 48V/100A, 60V/200A, 72V/400A, 86V/500A, 92V/500A. With prices ranging from $100 to $500.
Oh yeah, and I'd like to get a free toy inside the box.
Is that too much to ask? ;-)
In all of the above references to "dealer" is someone who knows what s/he's doing and is responsible for his/her decisions (i.e. if they set the controller such that they can claim "better performance" then they will need to factor in replacing the batteries under warranty!). Yeah, I know - I'm dreaming on that one, right?
So, what's on your controller wish list?