Recommend a frame for Ebike

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
stiffi
Recommend a frame for Ebike

Hey Everybdoy,

I'm starting a new ebike project with a Crystalite Phoenix Cruiser motor as a power plant.

My question is, can anybody recommend a specific frame, under $200 that would be good for a front mount?

I was looking at the Chrysler PT Cruiser bikes, because they have an all steel frame.

Any other recommendations, would be much appreciated. I'm not very good with measurements, so taking the guess work out for me, would help a lot.

thanks.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Recommend a frame for Ebike

Speaking for myself I like the Electra Townie 21, because it's laid back.

One thing about powerful motors in the front is many say there are torque forces which can cause the fork to snap. The cure is a torque arm. It appears (http://electricrider.com/crystalyte/whatsincluded.htm) the phoenix kit doesn't include a torque arm?

I yahoogle'd "bicycle torque arm" and this came up: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4475

stiffi

I just read the instructions from www.electricrider.com and it appears the Phoenix DOES include a torque arm. Problem solved!

thanks for the information.

andys
andys's picture

A really powerful hub motor can still brake the front fork even with a torque arm installed. The torque arm is to prevent the hub axle from spinning and stripping/tearing out the drop outs. It doesn't really strengthen the forks themselves. It is better to run the high output hubs on the rear (with a torque arm to the frame) where the frame is stronger.

xrotaryguy

I would just use a competent mountain bike frame. I am using a Diamondback frame with a suspension fork and a set of slicks. As long as you don't use a Huffy or some kind of Walmart brand bike, you should be good to go. Use a Trek or a Specialized or something name brand like that. You can find used bikes on Craigslist at super prices. If you're not sure what size frame you should use, take a trip down to your local bicycle shop and ask them to fit you to a mountain bike frame. Then you'll know what to look for when you hit the Craigslist ads.

I've owned too many gasoline powered cars to count on all my fingers and toes. Time to go electric.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage