online copy of the manual for a EVT 4000

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
smace
online copy of the manual for a EVT 4000

I am looking for an online copy of the manual for a EVT 4000. Is there one? I could not find one in the library here.

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture
Re: online copy of the manual for a EVT 4000

There are 2 manuals on the EV DownLoad Library. Scroll down to about half of the page to:

EVT Manuals
and Information
EVT-4000e Specifications
EVT-4000e Maintenance Manual
EVT-Z20a and EVT-Z20b Specifications

Parts of the manual on the EVT-20a and b also apply to the 4000.

Grandpa Chas S.

smace

Thank you, these will help.
A friend recieved a EVT 4000 in trade for some work. The original owner had lost the manuals, he said.
My friend was told that the bike acted strangly. Iw would only run up to 25 mph and after running a while a buzzer would sound and the bike would shut down.
We have played with the bike some and can confirm this to be true. I am 220 lbs and my friend is 170. Max speed was 25 mph. Although from reading here, maybe that is the best it can do. But the bike does shud down with a buzz after a while.
Now that We have the trouble shooting guide, maybe we can find out what is not working.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

I weigh over 220 lbs and with my EVT 4000 could get to 30 miles/hr with a 'new' pack, no problem.

The EVT 4000 doesn't make any sound that I would call a 'buzzer'. There are some sounds it will make when the battery pack is low, and if the pack is dangerously low it will shut down. I recall the sounds being more like ringing than buzzing.

smace

Thanks for the information. After reading the repair manual and seeing no mention of a trouble audible warning, we are puzzled. May just be a side effect of a sudden shutdown?
You telling me that you make 30 mph at my weight, points us first in the direction of the battery pack. We will look at that first. I will read through the posts to find expected battery voltage under load and no load and then see if we can figura a way to meter the batterys one at a time and run the cycle. If not that then may be a bad controller? Is there any way to do diagnostics on a controller with fairly simple tools like a vold/amp meter?

Crusher300
Crusher300's picture

smace,

I agree with David, the symptoms you describe seem like a low voltage cut out warning. When the pack voltage drops below a set level, the red pack level indicator light comes on steady and there is an audible tone. I would describe it as a steady tone, rather than a buzzing. Of course, you get several warnings before you get to that point. The yellow pack level indicator light cones on with an intermittent tone, then the red indicator with a faster tone, then the controller cuts off the output to the motor and you hear the steady tone.

The first thing I would suspect is a bad battery (or batteries) any idea how long this bike sat before your friend bought it? The expected calendar life for the batteries is 2-3 years with careful, regular use, but can be much shorter if abused, or sitting unused without charging.

-Crusher300
Silver EVT 4000e (60 volt) San Mateo, CA

smace

No, but he thinks it sat more or less unused for a while. He had to clean it up when he got it home. We will dig into the power end of it this or next weekend. Also see if we can get any data on how old and so on. Depends on the weather. If the weather is bad, we will trouble shoot, if it is good, it is out to play. Thanks for the help.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

he thinks it sat more or less unused for a while.

Batteries (lead acid) do not age well when sitting uncharged for a long time. They tend to behave very poorly afterward.

smace

Something I know all to well. On a unrelated topic, we pulled a VW Karmin Gia out of the garage yesterday to put back on the road for the spring and summeer. Battery was very dead. Replaced battery and oil. Added fuel and the car started and ran on the 3 crank. Thing had sat for 2 years. It looks more and more like new batterys are the way to go.
What suggestions for kind / brand / dealer. We are in Central Florida.

smace

I was not able to go and help, but trouble shooting was done.
Here is the process I was told was followed.
Bike was charged with the charger for 12 hours, overnight.
After charger stopped bike sat for one hour.
Voltage was at 48 volts. Seems low. Would think more in line with 50 to 52 volts.
Ran for about 15 min as fast as it would go, still only about 25 mph indicated. My friend is 165-170, not nearly as heavy as I am.
Voltage had dropped to 44.4 Volts (11.1 volts per battery??), which seems a bit low also. Ran the bike for a few more min and it quit. No voltage taken ( he forgot).
From this can we call aat least one if not all the batties bad?
If so replacement suggestions, battery type and vendor if you have any ideas.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage