Bionx no load test

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dennis
Dennis's picture
Bionx no load test

No load tests for the 500W High Speed Bionx 36V Lithium Mn System mounted on a 20" rim Dahon Mu SL with a fully charged battery.
Programmed menu:Wheel size code:2005 @ 1596 20"rim, Throttle code:3775 @ 0 ,Speed code:3773 @ 0 high speed setting, Full throttle no load indicated speed on the Bionx console:31.5 mph/50.7 kph. On road test on the flats with little to no wind at the same settings with a 158lb rider, no pedaling at full throttle gives an indicated speed on the Bionx console of about 26 mph.

Same programmed menu above and changed Speed code:3773 @ 1 high speed setting, Full throttle no load indicated speed on the Bionx console was 27.2 mph/43.3 kph.
Same programmed menu above and changed Wheel size code:2005 @ 1436 18"rim, Full throttle no load indicated speed on the Bionx console was 28.2 mph/45.4 kph.

:2005 @ Rim Size MPH KPH
    1915 24" 37.7 60.6
    2075 26" 41.0 66.0
    2156 27" 42.5 68.4
    2199 700 mm 43.2 69.5
    2234 28" 43.9 70.7

Maybe other Bionx owners can post figures for their set up.

sandorszabo
Re: Bionx no load test

Have you tried changing to the larger wheel-size coding for a road test? (It's still too cold in Chicago or I'd have a go at it myself).

sandorszabo

Please ignore my last post. I forgot that the wheel-size code only allows the controller to display the correct mph. :(

Dennis
Dennis's picture

No, I feel other Bionx owners can try it out for themselves with their own set up for on road tests and it's safe to say the on road top speeds will be much lower than the no load speeds. Bionx does not openly post their motor's performance but at http://www.crystalyte.com/, if you click on Motor Specs and Additional Speed Record, they have a good on road test on a 26" rim. Their 408 motor at 24V / 36V is similar to the Bionx 24V 250W and 36V 350W motor and their 406 high speed motor at 36V is similar to the Bionx 36V 500W high speed motor.
I posted the numbers to show how Bionx uses the electronics to limit their system. Maybe other Bionx owners will try the programming out for themselves to see how it affects the performance of their set up and see how the numbers can be way off, if their consol is not programmed properly for their corresponding wheel size.
An interesting note: when the 3773 max speed code is at 0 (speed limiter disabled), the no load max speed is pretty much continuous with it occasionally dropping slightly for a second or two then back to the highest indicated motor speed. When the 3773 max speed code is at 1 (speed limiter on), the no load max speed is only attained for a second and the motor then will pulse off and on continuously, so the overall motor speed or rpm is much lower.

sverker

As I have heard the Bionx motors are different depending on the rim size. Motors for i.e. 20" have a higher top rpm and a lower torque compared to same strength motor supplied for a 26" rim. This so the assist you get from the motor will not differ if you are using it on a 26" racer or a 20" recumbent.

Is this something anyone of you can confirm

Dennis
Dennis's picture

As far as I know, there are 3 Bionx motor kits available in the US market. They are the 250W, 350W, and HS500W motor. As far as I know, the motor is the same no matter what rim size you choose. If you choose a 250W motor on a smaller rim, then you will have higher torque and lower speed and with a larger rim, higher speed and lower torque but the motor wattage output is still the same. A good place to verify this is a dealer that has the motors mounted on bicycles with different rim sizes. A good place to call to verify this is www.jvbike.com, www.nycewheels.com or www.greenspeed.us. They are the only dealers I am aware of that has a show room with Bionx kits installed on bicycles with different rim sizes.

adamtki

Bionx one time had a private ftp or http site publicly accessible accidently. I managed to look at some of the documents. One of them contained technical specs on their motors and they did indeed have different motors for different wheel sizes. I had always suspected this because I have a PL250 and when I turn off the speed limiter, the assist gradually weakens once you pass 21 or 22 mph. I have a 700mm wheel. If that same motor was used in a 20" wheel, you wouldn't get much assist at 20mph - it's top legal speed.

By the way, my no load test with the PL250 using a motor designed for a 700mm wheel was 25mph. I never tried no pedal throttle only assist since I was never planning on riding like that.

I'd be curious to know what the no load test would be for a PL350 for the motor of the same wheel size.

matisamd

So if i buy a bionX hud on 20" wheel then i respoke to a 28" will i then get assist over 20mph ? so its locked to the RPM at original build ? i would assume there must be a code to adjust that if thats the case actually it seems bionx adjust original manufacturers firmware settings ? are bionx original manufacturers or are they useing someone elses parts. i read around the world of interweb that some people are able to have unlimited assitance but when they talk about they never said the code number :/, honestly i am decenly techi guy but i have found figuring out my bionx console hard i wonder if its just abit mad sir.

for my short time hre i will say iu beleave people who with hold knowledge to be the devil of ym reliigeon and likke most human weakness i say if its against my religeon must be holy war time.

Monkey see, monkey do, so get the monkey to do it.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage