Electric Motorcycle Options

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Treesong
Electric Motorcycle Options

Hello all,

I've been interested in electric vehicles, and electric motorcycles in particular, for several years. Now, it looks like I may be able to buy an electric motorcycle later this year. Therefore, I'd like to start planning ahead and decide in advance what I'm going to buy. Unfortunately, since such vehicles are still considered "fringe" by some people, I've had a hard time figuring out what's actually available and not just a rumor or a pipe dream!

Essentially, I'm looking for an electric motorcycle that will be used primarily for local travel: less than 20 miles (40 round trip) usually at speeds between 25 and 40. However, I would like something that can travel at highway speeds (45-70) and has the greatest range possible. My goal is to attempt long-distance travel within my region: say, 200-300 miles over the course of 2-3 days, presumably charging every 30-50 miles.

I realize that this range is pushing the limits of what is currently available. But that's why I use the word "attempt." This would be a vehicle that I would use primarily for local travel and then push to its range limits when I'm looking for adventure elsewhere in the Heartland.

What are your thoughts on this? The two vehicles I've come across so far that seem like they might be what I'm looking for are the Vectrix and the Electric GPR-S

VECTRIX: Vectrix
ELECTRIC GPR-S: http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_electric_motorcycle_gpr-s.php

I see that you have a Vectrix section, but I didn't see an Electric GPR-S section, although I did see some posts about the previous version, the Electric GPR. The Vectrix seemed to have somewhat mixed reviews, but if this Electric GPR-S lives up to its stats, or even comes close, then that would make it the best commercially available electric motorcycle I've seen anywhere so far.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the feedback! I look forward to hearing more soon...

Treesong

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: Electric Motorcycle Options

ELECTRIC GPR-S: http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_electric_motorcycle_gpr-s.php

Hey, that bike looks REALLY nice. Never seen it before - it must have been posted within the last couple of weeks or so? The reason you won't see much about these bikes is that not many people have them - I believe these are all pretty much made to order. The Vectrix and the sub $3000 moped class of bikes are produced in much larger quantities.

However, from what I've seen and heard of electricmotorsport.com I'd expect you'd be happy with this bike (and, darn, let me say it again it looks great!) I'm surprised (and disappointed) that even with LiFePO4's they only have the range listed that they do. I don't doubt it - in fact I commend them for their conservative statement. I was just hoping to see a larger range with this superior battery technology.

Does anyone out there no more about this bike? (I want one! ;-) )

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

andrew
andrew's picture

Treesong, this is the first I've seen of the GPR-S. They must have just put it up on the site. From what I can see, I would recommend the Electric GPR-S. From the reviews I've been reading on here, the Vectrix is an immature product, with a good chance of failure. The components and design are unconventional so it would be difficult to repair, which has to be left to Vectirx Corp. Also, the batteries are NiMH which is out of date, especially for the cost of the Vectrix. When their warranty runs out, I think most of them will be kept as collectibles.

From the looks of it, the GPR-S design is a simple DC system that can be easily repaired, and lots of the components would be interchangeable. The drive system is more conventional and proven (as opposed to the Vectrix in-wheel planetary gear drive), and much easier to service. It appears to use LiFePo4 batteries which are more advanced, and should have a longer cycle life than NiMH. At any rate, if they fail, they'd be easy to replace, where the Vectrix NiMH battery pack is proprietary. I also noticed this from the listing page:

Motor options: The Electric GPR-S comes stock with a heavy duty PM motor called the Etek-RT. The Electric GPR-S uses an industry standard Nema C-face motor mounting system that is compatible with not only the Etek type motors but almost every 6.7 or 8" motor on the market today. This means upgrading to an AC Induction system, or a sepex regen system is as easy as bolting in a after-market motor and controller kit.

And the GPR-S has a lower price tag. I wouldn't buy the Vectrix if it was cheaper, and I would buy the GPR-S if it was over $12k and I had the money hands down, but that's just my preliminary opinion.

Todd at electricmotorsport has worked with TS motors another small EV company in CA to build the previous GPR. I'm a very satisfied customer of theirs. I've spoken to Todd at electricmotorsport, and the people at TS motors, and they both were very knowledgeable and helpful. I trust these small EV companies more than Vectrix which cares more about filling their pockets and pleasing investors.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

sgmdudley

Here is another New Company that is supposedly building Electric Bikes in Boulder, Colorado. Starting at $8000 for the 8kw model. The VOLTA. Hope to see it this summer.
I think the thing to do at the moment is to wait and see what shows up. The GPR-S report says it is being shown in Thailand from March to April so are there any really out there with real world performance/experience? Looks great and the specs are great.

http://www.evc-llc.com/

Robert Dudley
E-Scoot Tech

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Hi Treesong my friend, I'm glad to see you return. So, electricmotorsport has been in this game for a long time and been building high quality conversions for quite awhile. Like the others I hadn't seen this bike on their site before but it would be an extension of their previous work with the Lightning Lithium bike.

Another option you might consider is the Aptera. It's due to begin shipping later this year and has a claimed range that would cover what you're saying and has a better storage story. However what you're saying about "is it a pipe dream" is a very apt question. A few days ago I did a bunch of yahoogling of Aptera and found a bunch of postings that were rehashing their press releases and very little in the way of real reviews. However Popular Mechanics did post an indepth review that's really positive, so maybe it's a real-deal vehicle. $26,000 may be out of your price range, though.

Mik
Mik's picture

I saw the GPR-S ads a few days ago and would buy one rather than another Vectrix.

But maybe I'd wait a while and hope some reports from real world experiences get posted first.

The main problem for me is (I believe) that the GPR-S will not be available in Australia all too soon; probably never.

I would also try to buy a bike that has a capable service center within close range.

Or one that has standard components that can be repaired or replaced.

If software is required to run the electronics than the bike should come with a basic set of software and setting so it can be re-programmed even if the company goes bust, or after the warranty has finished.

I am beginning to wonder if I will be locked into a difficult and expensive repair / maintenance situation once the warranty for my Vectrix runs out.

Of course I have been promised all sorts of things, but .....

Before signing up to buy a Vectrix I would try to negotiate the following:

- a price list for replacement parts (Charger, main fuse, throttle, instrument panel, body panels, windscreen, mirrors, rear and front lights, indicators, batteries, etc.).

- specs for the correct data cable to connect to the CAN Bus and a copy of the software and required settings to enable an experienced EV electrician OF YOUR CHOICE to repair and maintain the scooter after the warranty period or if Vectrix becomes insolvent.

- full technical manual written by - and for - EV technicians.

- a comprehensive users manual.

If I cannot get my Vectrix to work reliably then I will buy a suitable ICE bike
in working order, registered to myself etc. and ride it until I have the components (including the knowledge) for a conversion together.
By then I would also know if I like the bike and if the frame and components (other than the ICE) are in good shape.

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

The GPR-S isn't new. I first saw it a couple months ago when I first got into this sort of thing. From what I gathered, they had discontinued them. I guess they've started selling them again. Nice.

I think there were some videos up, too. Very nice.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

andrew
andrew's picture

The GPR-S is new. The GPR is the bike that was discontinued. I've been visiting electricmotorsport's website frequently. Only very recently have they published a page for their new "GPR-S". But they did have it's picture up on the motorcycle page for a while.

The GPR-S also has different components than the old GPR. Here's some basics that I can gather:

GPR:
GPR Webpage
Motor: etek or AC Induction
System Voltage: 48v for etek, up to 84v for AC drive
Batteries: Eight B&B HR22-12 (12v 22ah) AGM lead-acid for the 48v system

GPR-S:
GPR-S Webpage
Motor: Etek-RT (this motor just hit the market)
System Voltage: 72v
Batteries: Lithium ???

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

The GPR-S uses Thundersky LFP batteries - LiFePO4 (I don't know what Ah). They also mention that you can get greater range by adding extra batteries in the rear panniers (I don't know if this is a suggested DIY mod or something the EMS will do for you)

Mik - the GPR-S falls into your category nicely. It uses an AXE controller which can be programmed via a Windows PC and a serial cable (or a USB to RS232 converter if necessary). It uses a standard motor and standard batteries.

This really does look like a great bike - however, be warned it's not actually available yet. I tend to believe EMS that it will appear when they say it will - but you might want to be a little cautious - at least check what their refund policy is. Even the best laid plans of a Tesla Motors can go astray causing unexpected delays in delivery.

Electric Motorsport will debut the Electric GPR-S at the International Motor Show in Bangkok Thailand on March 28-April 5. We are now accepting orders for our first 100 production units. Our production goal is to produce 300 units this year. The first 100 Electric GPR-S motorcycles will be numbered special edition units with extra graphics and accessories.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Mik
Mik's picture

Mik - the GPR-S falls into your category nicely. It uses an AXE controller which can be programmed via a Windows PC and a serial cable (or a USB to RS232 converter if necessary). It uses a standard motor and standard batteries.

Electric Motorsport will debut the Electric GPR-S at the International Motor Show in Bangkok Thailand on March 28-April 5. We are now accepting orders for our first 100 production units. Our production goal is to produce 300 units this year. The first 100 Electric GPR-S motorcycles will be numbered special edition units with extra graphics and accessories.

If the required software is available then it sounds good except for the Australian compliance plate which would be needed. Apparently a rather expensive exercise.
The only "extra graphics and accessories" I need is a small metal plate that says:
"THIS VEHICLE WAS MANUFACTURED TO COMPLY WITH THE MOTOR VEHICLES STANDARDS ACT 1989"

Mr. Mik

andrew
andrew's picture

Mik, do they cover custom vehicles? Maybe you could get EMS to send you all of the parts and the frame, and just assemble it and say it's a custom build w/DOT (or whatever you call it there) approved lights/horn/brakes.

HOPOIL-AMPS

If I had a sugarmama who would give me the $12000 I'd take a serious look at Enertia bike. Made in Oregon.
Brammo is the parent company. I think the Enertia will be ready for mass purchase this year (08) (www.enertiabike.com)

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

If I had a sugarmama who would give me the $12000 I'd take a serious look at Enertia bike. Made in Oregon.
Brammo is the parent company. I think the Enertia will be ready for mass purchase this year (08) (www.enertiabike.com)

They need to knock at least $4000 off that price. I'd go for the GPR-S mentioned above instead. Although this does have batteries with a "higher pedigree"...

Mik
Mik's picture

Mik, do they cover custom vehicles? Maybe you could get EMS to send you all of the parts and the frame, and just assemble it and say it's a custom build w/DOT (or whatever you call it there) approved lights/horn/brakes.

I dont know.

Researćhing the legal aspects of EV conversion in Oz is next on my agenda.

So far I assume that a previously registered chassis is my best bet.

Treesong

Thank you to everyone for the input. So far, the GPR-S and the Volta G/T are looking the most interesting to me. But I would need more info about the Volta G/T before giving it serious consideration (price, feedback, etc). So, it looks like the GPR-S is the frontrunner for the time being.

I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime, here's a page on my website dedicated to tracking my progress towards getting an electric vehicle:

treesong.org/electric

Treesong

Here another item of note that I've discovered today:

EV-X7: Prototype for a high-speed/high-range Japanese electric motorcycle.
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/11/electric_bike_ev-x7.php

Of course, this is just a prototype, and thus has little impact on my search. But I found it interesting... :)

andrew
andrew's picture

Treesong, I remember reading your site like years ago when I was googling the GPR electric motorcycle. That's an admirable goal. If only more people had the resolve. I noticed one GPR which was pretty much new went on ebay for like around $2,500. That might happen with the new GPR. It might get you to your goal a lot faster by keeping tabs on ebay, and craigslist and the other auction sites. Also, here's a really good resource: EV TradinPost. Even though buying a conversion may not be your cup of tea, there's often some amazing deals on them.

Roadrashhurts
Roadrashhurts's picture

If you are looking for a dual sport bike, have a look at the Quantya. They have a dealer in New York. www.quantya.com

quantya_strada_destra.jpg

quantya_cruscotto.jpg

quantya_DSC_0091.jpg

Cheers

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Here another item of note that I've discovered today:

EV-X7: Prototype for a high-speed/high-range Japanese electric motorcycle.
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/11/electric_bike_ev-x7.php

Of course, this is just a prototype, and thus has little impact on my search. But I found it interesting... :)

That does look "interesting". Very short on details though. They mention a "mini-scooter for $2100 next year" - and the article was posted November '07...

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage