13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeffkay
Jeffkay's picture
Deep Cycle has new 1.3Kw in a toolbox!
AttachmentSize
Image icon Deep Cycle Batt Pack.JPG148.08 KB
Image icon 1.3K Box.JPG142.66 KB

That's 192 cells of A123 M1 Fun. Believe it or not there is still lots of room in the 20" box!

Jeff K.

JCinStaunton
JCinStaunton's picture
Re: Deep Cyclle has new 1.3Kw in a toolbox!

That makes it all nice and neat :) Colors look good, and I like the deep cycle sticker on the tank :)
How does it run? speed, distance etc?

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

I like it, the only change I would make is to cover the Craftsman label on the box with another Deep Cycle sticker. Good job, can you post a picture of the inside?

Grandpa Chas S.

IbeRKT

That looks like a great solution for the batteries, neat, clean, and easy to remove.

I think it's the first time I've ever seen an Electric Motorcycle with a "Quick Swap" battery pack.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Very Cool! I love it.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Jeffkay
Jeffkay's picture

Thanks guys, I do plan to get rid of the Craftsman logo--unless they sponsor me! I will be putting more pics of how I made the 16s12p pack later. I had it up to 53mph with the new "turbo" mode I came up with. That adds a 12v extra pack AFTER the Alltrax output.
Jeff K.

spinningmagnets

Whats the year, make, and model of the donor bike?

How many volts? Which motor, whats the sprockets tooth counts?

"Electric motorcylists do it without shorts until it Hertz"

andrew
andrew's picture

What are the specs of the "M" cells? You could grab the whole pack, and take it off the bike to use it for powering something else (maybe even another EV), or carry it inside to charge it. Maybe use it to power stuff in case of a power outage. Pretty good idea. What's really appealing to me about the A123 cells is the potential for fast charging, like in 15 minutes.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

Jeffkay
Jeffkay's picture

>>Whats the year, make, and model of the donor bike?>> A '73 Yamaha TX-750 (was a not-popular I.C.E., 750cc model).

>>How many volts? With the pack shown it is about 52v nominal. Split into 4 "12" volt packs. Each subpack has 4 X 12p. Think of it as 48v system. The controller is Alltrax 4844m (400 amps set for 150-175 to save the brushed Etek--less if I want range and no-fun ride). Which motor, whats the sprockets tooth counts? >>Ratio of chain (50 ansi) is front 12t, rear 72t. This is for hills and starting torque. I killed 3 Eteks trying to make speed...

This will be my "bumper sticker" for the bike!!! "Electric motorcyclists do it without shorts until it Hertz"

When you turn up the amps and volts this thing moves!

Jeff K.

Jeffkay
Jeffkay's picture

>>What are the specs of the "M" cells? You could grab the whole pack, and take it off the bike to use it for powering something else (maybe even another EV), or carry it inside to charge it. Maybe use it to power stuff in case of a power outage. Pretty good idea. What's really appealing to me about the A123 cells is the potential for fast charging, like in 15 minutes.

I have charged the 12p subpacks in less than 20 minutes! The M1 cells can make 60 amps and 120 peak I believe. Same as Killacycle has. I finally found a good interconnect scheme...for those that saw my old "clamping" concept, that is gone, now they are soldered.

I charge it off the bike but will eventually have charger on bike. I will be adding more cells for range. I have WELDED with the pack!! Both accidental and with my mig spool gun. A "12" volt module can start a car no problem. I have seen all 400 amps from 10p pack...
Jeff K.

JCinStaunton
JCinStaunton's picture

just out of curiosity how much did it cost for all of the batteries used? I was looking at cells trying to get an idea but there are so many different types but all the ones I looked at were fairly expensive when bought singly. that toolbox design is great as I said earlier, but it looks like it can be anywhere from say 500 to 1k out of pocket?
Couldnt resist, I had to ask :)

Jeffkay
Jeffkay's picture

I generally pay $10 or less for the cells from DeWalt packs. Watching E-Bay, etc. Recently they spiked up in price. I also killed many cells "learning", LOL.
Jeff K.

Jeffkay
Jeffkay's picture
Re: Deep Cyclle Range

Got 17.8 miles out of this pack this weekend. Much of trip over 30mph and lots of hills...
Jeff K.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57

Support V is for Voltage