Vectrix-style Twist Grip Throttle / R-Brake

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
wanders
Vectrix-style Twist Grip Throttle / R-Brake

I'm designing my e-bike, and I really, really want a Vectrix-style twist-grip control. Namely, go forward by twisting backward with your right hand, release the grip and it rotates to neutral, and apply regen braking by twisting forward. Now, this is not brain surgery. For example, for the Kelly BLDC controller, you need a 0-5V pot for the accelerator, and a 0-5V pot for the brake. So, questions:

1) Would a Vectrix dealer sell me the part? This seems unlikely, since I do not own a Vectrix (and I gather that they are having a hard time both selling and maintaining them, based on items here on V and on AutoBlogGreen). On the other hand, if I wait, there may be plenty of inventory...

2) Even if I did convince a dealer to sell me the part, does the Vectrix twist grip implement what I need (i.e. opposed pots)? Vectrix owners, speak right up now... ;)

3) If I fabricate one of these (ugh), what is the best approach? Build the dual pots into the grip, or put together a dual cable twist grip into a pot box?

Yes, I know that Vectrix claims to have a patent on this design. But for my own custom bike there won't be an issue. I would be happy to buy the part from a Vectrix dealer if they would sell it to me.

Suggestions?

Willie

wanders
Re: Vectrix-style Twist Grip Throttle / R-Brake

I looked up the Vectrix design (Google has a lovely patent database, all in PDF) and I don't think that I really want one of these:

Vectrix_Throttle.jpg

A few too many moving parts to break.

I also came across a Hall-effect sensor throttle, to wit, the Birkestrand Electronic Throttle (Item #15 on http://www.freeenergystore.com/evhubmotors.html). This might work, but the fact that it is Hall-sensor based instead of resistive, makes me apprehensive.

The search goes on. Feel free to give a suggestion...

Willie

Mik
Mik's picture

The Vectrix throttle also controls the "reverse gear".

Sounds like a gimmick if you never had one, but is really nice when it works.

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

There is NO reverse gear on the Vectrix. By rotating the throttle to the Regen mode you are placing a reverse current on the motor which causes it to turn backwards. This was said in one of the Vectrix videos.

Grandpa Chas S.

Mik
Mik's picture

There is NO reverse gear on the Vectrix. By rotating the throttle to the Regen mode you are placing a reverse current on the motor which causes it to turn backwards. This was said in one of the Vectrix videos.

Grandpa Chas S.

Thats right, I should have said REVERSE MODE instead of "reverse gear".

I believe that the reverse function is controlled by a different hardware part of the Vectrix throttle system than the regenerative braking.

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Patriot

I just started another thread on basically the same topic, because no one makes a dual control twist grip.

I also want to use a Kelly Controller with regen braking.

What I think may work, is buy two 5k twist grips. Use one for the right side throttle, and the other for the left side regen braking. The left side would install opposite, so it would twist forward for regen.

That way, both sides look the same. You could then keep the spare grips for a regular bicycle. :D

Now, with such a setup, I'm thinking I would then install my actual brake handles opposite, like a real motorcycle. I would have the front brake on the right side, operated when I release the throttle, and the left grip would primarily be for regen on the rear hub motor, with the rear brake lever (on the left side) as backup.

Does anyone here think it would work?

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage