Noob would like info on bikes to use with Cyclone 500W gear drive kit.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
mwolff
Noob would like info on bikes to use with Cyclone 500W gear drive kit.

Hello,

After lurking (and learning) for some time on this site and others, I have ordered the Cyclone 500W kit with the 24V 20Ah LiFePo4 battery pack. Paco at Cyclone-TW suggested the 24V packs because they have BMS and are warrantied for 2 years. Uhh, it was quite an investment for me, so here is my question to you-all. What bike should I match this unit to? I like the comfort style, I rode the Raleigh and Trek, both in the $300-$400 range, and either would be fine for me, though I think a disc front brake would be good. Do I need steel wheels, steel frame, heavy duty sprockets and chain? I'll want to ride this bike both on rough dirt road, and pavement.

Thank you in advance.

Marty

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture
Re: Noob would like info on bikes to use with Cyclone 500W gear

Marty,

Welcome to Vis for Voltage, I too have looked at the Cyclone systems very hard as I like bottom bracket drives. I own 2 Meridas which are a different style bottom bracket drive. Hill climbing ability is extremely good using the bike gears and you don't have to sacrifice top speed.

The best advice I could give you on a bike selection is - Wait for the kit to arrive, take the motor mount with you to the Bike Shop and pick out what ever bike you like then double check the mount will fit the bike. In my case I found a Specialized Crossroads I like very much. I am not sure if the motor will fit it or not. There are several other bikes similar to the Crossroads which I might have picked if I knew if the kit would not fit the Crossroads. What I am saying is I did it backwards, if the kit does not fit, now I have to plunk down another 4 to 5 hundred dollars for a quality bike.

Good luck and let us know what you choose, pictures please, and how it turns out.

Grandpa Chas S.

spinningmagnets

Dear mwolff, If you don't mind me asking, how much does the Cyclone kit cost from the retailer you chose, and what comes in the kit (with specs, please?).

I seem to recall Cyclone is the configuration where the motor is just in front of the front sprocket set, and drives the pedal axle through a freewheel.

I am interested in this, but I found out I owe taxes, so it will be a couple months before I can begin spending money on my hobby again, so I will be following this closely. I agree with Chas, carry the mounting bracket around with you for a few weeks, comparing it to frame candidates.

The forums I read have consistently endorsed fat tires, front suspension, and a front disc brake at a minimum. Those who start without these features to save on start-up costs usually get hooked on EV's and quickly want to upgrade.

This kit allows the motor to use the rear gears for hill-climbing and also allows for the possibility of a rear suspension.

mwolff

Hi Chas,

Thanks for the info. I will post pix and other data as I gather it. It will be a compromise to choose a bike for this kit. I live at 3 miles of steep, rough dirt road before I see pavement, and commute on a dual-sport motorcycle. It would be great to be able to use this new e-bike to commute...but there are other factors, added time, safety on a 50 mph county road, but I will at least try it. When the kit arrives, I will begin in earnest to search for a compatible bicycle.

Marty

mwolff

Hello,

The entire kit with bicycle tools, motor with all mounting stuff and PAS, 24V, 20Ah lifepo battery pack with charger, $1400 delivered, YIKES!!! I'll post how it all works out once I get there.

Marty

skylark

I use a Giant Sedona with a hubmotor in the front wheel which has front suspension and seatpost suspension, and commute in city traffic most days. With the number of potholes and bad streets around here it is not too far from off road riding. I would recommend this bike or a similar one for your purpose. It a hybrid between a comfort bike and a mountain bike.

I would say that front suspension and fat tires as mentioned above are mandatory. A full suspension bike (rear suspension) would also be well worth it. I would suggest focusing on bikes more in the mountain bike category than comfort bike if you will be riding dirt roads.

I find standard caliper brakes to be adequate. I do not feel that a steel frame or wheels are a requirement, although I like steel wheels.

Fenders are extremely important for commuting, as are lights. Lights can be pretty easy, clamp on lights do the minimum required job, although brighter lights may be needed for riding unlit roads in the dark.

cerewa

Do I need steel wheels, steel frame, heavy duty sprockets and chain?

No. You will want all of the above to be of high quality and made for durability. Most bikes that fit the bill will have aluminum wheel rims, and many will have aluminum frames. (From what I have seen, about 100% of new bikes better than Wal-Mart quality that are available in USA/Canada now have aluminum rims).

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage