Electric Bobber

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
dreamdrum
Electric Bobber

I'm a newbie, so I'd like some expert input...

As a 'thought experiment' in electric motorcycles, would it be feasible / advisable* to marry a Kikker 5150 rolling chasis (a small classic bobber kit) with an electric power system (e.g. as specified in the BugE kit)?
http://myhardknock.com/?page_id=8&category=14&product_id=44
http://www.blueskydsn.com/BugE_Power_kit.html

*Apart from the usual registration and insurance issues, given the similar vehicle weights can one judge if the bike frame can hold 4 batteries specified in the BugE? I liked the look of the bike and was thinking about pre-configured systems, since I lack the knowledge to design a power system from scratch.

Thanks,
Gary

I guess this idea is a scale up from my IZip Chopper ebike, which is lacking in the suspension (comfort) and speed (18mph) departments. I graduated to riding in traffic with a small motorcycle to avoid repeating a close call I had on the IZip in a narrow shoulder aside a truck. The idea of electric transportation continues to fascinate.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Electric Bobber

Yeah, looks like a cool thing. I've often thought that there are lots of companies making motorcycle frame kits and those could be a basis for an EV conversion. Those bikes in particular look like a more affordable price than I've seen.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Hi,

I think this would make an absolutely fantastic rolling chassis for what you want. It looks like a great price as well. The Bug-E kit should work - you might also consider similar kits from electricmotorsport.com if you want to go with a "pancake" motor (such as the new Etek-RT) or an AC or Sep-Ex motor that they also offer.

I'd suggest that the first thing you do is consider what speed and range you want and then work backwards from there to figure out motor and battery requirements. To figure out whether the batteries would fit simply get the model numbers or dimensions from Bug-E and eyeball the bobber's frame. However, at a guess I'd say you'd be better going with smaller batteries. Another guess is that I think you could fit five U1 size batteries in there to make a 60V system - you'd need to step up to a 60V capable controller. Depending on how you gear it you could end up with a 40mph top speed and a 20 mile range (just guesstimates based off the slew of 60v small mopeds out there).

Good luck and if you take the plunge then be sure to keep us updated with your progress.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

andrew
andrew's picture

It would certainly be feasible, but I don't think the bugE kit is ideal. Also, note that the Kikker 5150 doesn't have rear suspension. I don't think this would matter much in terms of "is the bike going to work." This would make it easier doing the drive system as there would be no worry about the chain position or tension changing. I may try adding struts on my bike in place of the rear shocks some time to see how that works, as I'm having some trouble with the drive system.

A couple of considerations up front: non lead-acid battery solutions are looking much better given the price of lead. If I was doing a bike conversion now, I would not even consider lead-acid unless I just wanted to get it moving on a low budget. And, other chemistries would allow you to keep the bike light. Also, consider buying the bike kit first, than assembling it, and then picking and sizing the components to fit. Finally, I would definitely do regen. This is possible with some controllers available now, and a PM motor. It would save brake wear, and increase the range about 8-10% for no added battery capacity.

What are your speed and range needs?

Here's some considerations about the parts in the bugE kit:

http://www.evparts.com/prod-AK2161.htm

-Motor: Advanced DC Motor #140-01-4005

Depending on your required power, I would seriously consider a permanent magnet PM motor for efficiency, the possibility of regen, and saving some weight and space. Some of the PM motors are also have more mounting options like the Mars brushless etek which could probably be swing-arm mounted (or mounted completely outside the engine area). The series wound motors are great for higher voltages and a lot of amps, where the PM motors aren't as tolerant of high amps.

-Alltrax Controller, NPX4834

Looks like a decent controller, but it's important to consider programability and the possibility of doing regen. These two options may not be very much more expensive for a low-voltage low-current controller like this, and they would be nice to have IMO.

-Thumb Throttle

You are definitely not going to want a thumb throttle. I used one on my electric bicicyle when I had it, and they are painful to hold down for a long time.

-DC-DC Converter

The DC-DC converter in the kit is non-isolated. I recommend an isolated converter for safety reasons so that the main negative of the pack is not connected to ground.

-Charge Meter

The meter they have is somewhat useful in determining remaining charge, but it's really just a volt meter. I would rather have a volt meter with the numbers printed on for the voltage level, as this would be more useful to read a quantifiable measurement. For a "fuel" meter, there are much more advanced and better options, like a cycle analyst.

-Solenoid

This particular one uses a 48v coil, so it would need 48v switched to it. Just something to be aware of. I would prefer a 12v coil contactor so that it can be switched with 12v, that you will probably run to your headlight and handlebars already to control the rest of the auxiliary system.

-Charger - quantity 2

The chargers are 48v string chargers. If you are planning to use lead-acid then I would not use a string charger unless you are planning to use a balancing device (like BattEQ, or powercheqs). Instead, I would use 4 individual chargers. Soneil makes some 12v chargers that would work, and be easy to fit on the bike.

-Forward & Reverse Assembly
-Forward & Reverse Handle

Not necessary for a bike, unless you are going to make it really heavy with loads of batteries.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage