Modifly Ping BMS?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
deronmoped
Modifly Ping BMS?

Has anyone modified Ping's BMS to get more current out of the batteries?

The problem I'm having is it looks like my battery pack is on the threshold of being able to handle the current draw of my motor. The bike will run fine under full load climbing a steep hill like one third of the time, the other two thirds of the time the pack will cut out. I have been in touch with Ping and he thinks I'm drawing too much current. When I did order the pack he said it should work on my 400 watt motor.

The first thing I think I will do is replace the wires coming off the pack as they are like ten or twelve gauge, a little on the small size, I can probably shorten them up a few inches too.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Deron.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: Modifly Ping BMS?

I'm not sure. It should be a simple matter of adding a little solder to the shunts and possibly replacing the FETs.

You want to change out to a 8 gauge wire? What? How much current does this "400W" motor draw? I pull 31A peak through my 12ga and it doesn't even get warm.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

Aerowhatt
Aerowhatt's picture

The first thing I think I will do is replace the wires coming off the pack as they are like ten or twelve gauge, a little on the small size, I can probably shorten them up a few inches too.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Deron.
------------
n/a

Changing the supply wires won't help. What you have to do is add a hairlike copper strand or two across the the current shunt on the board. I took one up to 62amp cut off (20ah battery) and two up to 45amp cut off (also a 20ah battery). Just make sure you don't add more then you need since you still want to protect the battery in case of a short or controller failure. Do you have the yellow wrapped BMS or the Blue one?

Aerowhatt

deronmoped

So I added a wire to the shunt, used a 26 gauge (.0159 inches) across the solder side of the board. This made the wire I added shorter then the other shunts, not sure if that makes a difference. The bike works fine now.

I was going to change out the supply wires on the battery pack as they are 12 gauge for the positive and 14 gauge for the negative, which I think is pretty small for low voltage high current stuff. Instead I was able to shorten (took a foot out of them) them up to only a couple of inches long each, which probably made a bigger difference.

I have the yellow BMS which came with 4 shunts.

Deron.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage