Vectrix loopholes...

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
duca
Vectrix loopholes...

One interesting thing I noticed recently and which might be of interest for Vecrix users since it could lead to desorientation and wrong reactions under extreme circumstances.

If the rear wheel hits a bump while regen braking it can happen that the engine goes on free-wheel mode. I cannot swear on it, but it seems to happen every time the rear wheel loses ground contact for even a fraction of second while regen-braking. releasing throttle and applying regen-braking again works fine, so I don't think this to be related with the side stand switch which could be activated by the side stand moving after a heavy bump otherwise the "GO" would disappear and one should go through the two-brakes-procedure to regain authority over the engine. This behaviour could take people by surprise so I thought it better to share, also because I wonder if it's only me or all Vectrix scooters behave the same. So people, better you always have one finger on the brake lever too.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Vectrix loopholes...

The same thing happens to me occasionally on unsealed driveways at low speed going downhill.

It seems to be a safety feature that could go wrong. It prevents locking of the wheel due to regen braking but if it happens at the wrong time then it could be a disaster.
For example if at the end of a steep down hill road the regen braking action is increased to stop the Vectrix and then traction is lost just before the intersection with a faster road, the loss of deceleration from regen braking could lead to rolling into the fast traffic.

Unsealed roads, snow, ice, oil spills etc. could cause this.

It has only ever happened to me at low speeds but that will not help much if it lets you roll into high speed traffic at a stop sign.

The disk breaks are much safer under some circumstances and each Vectrix rider should regularly practce their optimal use.

The regen braking is so convenient for 95% of the time that the use of proper brakes might not come natural when really needed.

I try to always keep 4 fingers on the front brake when regen braking....

Mr. Mik

[

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Mik
Mik's picture

I have done a few tests and posted them at http://visforvoltage.org/forum/3369-vectrix-real-world-regen-braking-testing#comment-19077
because it is strongly related to that thread.

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Vectrix-NH

It a Motorcycle always be ready to use your Breakes , Vectrix has some of the best ever made .

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I think that is normal safety feature, because if regen blocks your last wheel (due to to much breaking power), it should stop braking or you may fall (wet road). Perhaps it is only implemented in an odd way. It should not release the whole regen breaking, but only lesser the power of the regen breaking.

bocabikeguy

Because of the physics of it, all Regen braking is anti-lock. Regen captures energy caused by the turning of the motor and converts that to electricity that charges the battery. The motor during regen causes drag on the wheels and slows you down (braking). Now, if the wheel were to lock up, then the motor isn't turning, there is no energy being captured, so there is no regen and no drag on the wheels. Normally the wheels will start to spin again. Often, I have seen companies advertise that their regenerative braking is "anti-lock". OF COURSE it is, just like all regenerative braking.

TangentStar

Here's a nice little loop hole I found for you guys...

I pull my bike up a slightly incline, standard 20 feet or so driveway into a garage.
When I back out and down the driveway, for instance if I accelerate in reverse to the 2 MPH and then the the slight down grade of the drive way, of course it coasts and accelerates from the grade. BUT at around probably 3-4 MPH in reverse, still holding the throttle 'full back' the vectrix will accelerate in reverse. Quite scary when I first found it. Did it once more to double check.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage