Many of the threads in this forum are dedicated to owners describing problems/issues they're having with a Vectrix. Well and good. I"m sorry to hear about the various troubles some riders have encountered, some quite serious. But let's also keep in mind that the bad experiences are the ones that tend to get reported in online blogs, not the good experiences.
With this in mind, this thread is dedicated to summaries from owners who have had an overall positive experience.
As an early adopter of the Vectrix here in Oakland, CA, I have nothing but positive news to report. This includes:
1. Bought the bike in August 2007. Have put in about 2600 miles so far with zero maintenance.
2. My electrical recharge cost over six months has been $35 instead of $500 gas costs for 6 months in my car last year. Yes, that's 35 vs 500.
2. Early on I had two recharges that didn't go to completion. Disappeared after the software update (they came to my workplace to do the update). No other problems since, except that I've asked the Vectrix people to consider revising the charging code to allow for shutdown of the fairly noisy cooling fan when not needed (which is most of the time when charging during chilly Oakland nights).
3. My distance per charge when driving at highway speeds (Oakland to SF and back) averages 30-32 miles.
4. My distance per charge at slower local speeds, driving aggressively, is about 35 miles.
5. My distance per charge at slower local speeds, driving for efficiency, is about 36-38 miles.
6. Highway speed is the #1 factor that affects range. Greater than 50mph burns electrons much faster.
7. Tire pressure is the #2 range factor. Make sure to keep them as tight as they're rated. If they're even a little soft your range will suffer markedly.
8. Driving style is the #3 range factor, but it doesn't make that big a difference, surprisingly.
9. Hills are the #4 range factor, but I've got to say that there is no hill anywhere in Oakland or SF that I haven't been able to accelerate up from a standstill. I'm talking crazy steep hills (>20%).
10. The Vectrix bike has almost completely replaced my car. Economically it doesn't make sense to buy the Lithium battery pack circa 2009, but I'll probably do it anyway. The bike is really that fun (and useful) to ride.
11. Vectrix has, for me, been very efficient and professional in their approach to the recall/battery replacement issue. I'm getting mine replaced in a couple of weeks.
fish771 [at] yahoo.com