Ping Battery Climbs Hills

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
dogman
dogman's picture
Ping Battery Climbs Hills

This is the results of initial testing of a ping 36 volt 20 ah lifepo4. As far as I'm concerned ping is the man. Doing buisness with him was great. I was very concerned about this battery cut out issue so I scraped up the extra bucks to get a 20 ah battery for my brushed WE hub. Range was an issue anyway since I needed to get 12 miles to work, charge up, and 12 miles back. 6 miles of the bike path is pretty hilly, up and down. The killer was getting home, when after 6 miles of up and down, you get to climb 500 vertical feet in about a mile, followed by gradual constant uphill for five more miles. This hill used to bust my fanny when I was sixteen. Now at 50 forget it. Running the we kit on a schwinn meridian trike allowed me to carry a lot of lead batteries, but I was still running out of juice with as much as 4 miles to go. At my age, on a 130 pound trike this was killing me.
The ping battery, still not fully broke in, is not only getting me up the hill with no battery cut outs, but looks to be getting me about 15 miles of range. This is about an hour at full throttle all the way. This is also while packing about 35 pounds of lead batteries in case I needed them for the hill. The lesson is, if you buy ping, buy big.
We'll see about 1000 cycles in about 4 years, but if it just goes 500, I will be getting to work for a dollar a day, including the bike and batt, as opposed to 15 dollars a day for my subaru at 27 mpg. The subaru got expensive after some engine and clutch repairs. The subaru will last me a lot more years with half the mileage going on it. In any case, even carrying 4 12ah lead batteries and 6 B&D 24 volt drill nicads was still not getting me home. This was about 50 pounds of batteries. at 15 pounds the ping battery is getting me up one nasty hill no problem. I don't have anything but a voltmeter, so I can't tell you watts or amps. I just know I can go 25 mph on the flats and run full throttle till the battery is at 30 volts without it cutting out. I am not sure, but I belive I am running the 35 amp controller, based on my top speed on a huge trike. Personally I was not wanting to do any surgery on the BMS, and I want to get some life out of the pack by not bypassing stuff.

deronmoped
Re: Ping Battery Climbs Hills

Yeah

I have no problem recommending Ping too. He was always very helpful, ships fast, great prices and the batteries work good. I hope they last too, but I can imagine they will.

I picked up the 24V 20Ah battery for my Giant Lafree, it has a 400 watt motor that peaks at 1,000 watts. The current draw was a touch too much as the pack would cut out two thirds the time, the other third of the time the bike would run great. I added a twenty six gauge wire to the shunt and all is fine now.

I had Ping build the pack so it would fit into my stock battery case, it's nice to be able to keep the bike stock looking.

I have not done a range test, but I have put some miles on the bike and I can tell just from those rides that the pack should perform a lot better then the old SLA's.

Deron.

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: Ping Battery Climbs Hills

Must be nice to be capabable of such modifications. For me, its much better to stay stock, and I wanted to let people know mine worked. On the bike path, this stock WE hub is plenty fast, but I do admit if I get a second bike, two wheeled, I'll get a 48 volt ping for it. I love the trike, its really good for getting groceries and running 4 big dogs but on the commute it does lack agility if I need to dodge cars. Back when I rode a moped I got real good at locking up the rear tire, laying it sideways and snap kicking dents in car doors when they turned right across the bike lane. They never did get it that I was doing 35 mph on that little thing.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging