what connectors do I use?

1 reply [Last post]
Jesse Mount

I have a 36v 20ah lifpov battery and a 500watt motor. The battery just has crimp ready wires. The controller for the motor came with a three prong connection piece that is 240v 10amp. Would that work? or do I need something stronger?

goal: have an electo assisted trike converted to a velomobile by fall

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: what connectors do I use?

Yes that should be enough capacity. 240v 10a is 2400watts so to the extent that a rating for a connector is really about watts then you're okay. But I don't know fully what they're taking into account with the ratings on a connector.

10A is a little weak in terms of amperage. But the maker of your bicycle clearly meant for that connector to be used for that bicycle and to the extent that they designed it well (or not) the existing connector is meant to be sufficient for the bicycle. If the manufacturer designed it well, that is, some manufacturers have proved they are willing to sell vehicles with deficient components.

- David Herron, The Long Tail Pipe, davidherron.com, 7gen.com, What is Reiki
- Electrified Electra Townie, 1971 Karmann Ghia (since sold), Kia Soul EV

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

style="display:block"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2401070691062219"
data-ad-slot="2079401426"
data-ad-format="auto">

High Voltage: The Fast Track to Plug In the Auto Industry A behind-the-scenes look at the robustly competitive race to dominate the market for electric cars.
Revenge of the Electric Car The electric car is not only back from the dead, it's inevitable

Who's new

• modelt
  • KC MADDEN
  • Mac252381
  • lj8660634
  • engineerjim

Customize This