XM-2000 Motor problem, hall broken

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
kringle777
kringle777's picture
XM-2000 Motor problem, hall broken

Hey,
I started up my XM-2000 yesterday and found that I have an intermittent problem with the motor cutting out. It happens when I'm accelerating, but not every time. The motor cuts out and the diagnostic light flashes 8 times. If I recycle the key, the problem goes away for a little while. I looked in the manual and found the entry for that diagnostic--"Problem with motor, hall inside broken".

Any idea how I can fix this?

Rebbe
Re: XM-2000 Motor problem, hall broken

Kringle777,

Kringle777: immediate disclosure: this post is only to affirm and expand on this problem-- I have the same problem exactly except that with me the 'motor' DOES start to cut out with more and more frequency until it dies every time I accelerate...if you see the thread I started a while back "Battery issue I hope it is not worse" (sorry I don;t know how give you the link from a previous thread) I describe in some detail what actually happens...

many in this forum then thought it was a battery problem; I replaced all batteries, bought a good charger and...I still have the issue. ( I am in no way complaining that anyone was wrong in the diagnosis-- I DID need new batteries anyway).

I logged on tonight, in fact, to ask if anyone knew someone who could service my xm2k as near as possible to Montclair, nj., since the local (mostly) motorcycle mechanic here that has had some experience EV repair, recently cried "uncle" in trying to diagnose my (our?) problem.

so, repeating Kringle777's question:

can anyone out there help?

kringle777
kringle777's picture

Hey Rebbe,
Well, I took it upon myself to also contact UsaTracy at the same time, since he seems to know more than anybody the particulars of the XM-2000. He's done a complete teardown and rebuild of the thing, and has given valuable information in the past to this forum. Don't know why he's no longer around here exactly, but he was always a decent guy to me. Anyway, here's his reply to my message (hope he doesn't mind):
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Real rare for a hall to actually go bad unless you messed with the HAL wiring like grounding out and such, which I doubt you did.

HALS in cars for the distributor should go about 1,000,000 miles.

But it could go bad.

First, I would check the HAL plug at the controller, they are FAMOUS for either coming loose, not being plugged in all the way or having the plastic tang on the connector broken from the factory allowing it to work loose.

I worked on one bike for an hour only to find the HAL plug had no tang and had merely fallen off.

Unplug it and replug it and make sure it is securely fastened and try again to see if that fixes it. If the tang is broken tie wrap it.

All hub motors are hand wound, the HALS in some motors like the EVT-A bikes are easy to get to and replace if needed.

The ones in the XM are from what I saw pretty well buried under the wiring and I would say pretty much impossible to service.

The controller itself may be the problem, the HALS interface to it and it lights the diag light.

Take one of the 4 bottom screws out of the bottom of the controller, the one at the lowest level when the bike is on the side stand and see if any water drips out of it.

If it does, you need to pull the controller, open it up, spray it down with brake clean brake cleaner and let it air dry, wipe any white chalky buildup off of any electronic components and the circuit board while it is wet with brake clean but do NOT wipe and off the greasy looking stuff that does between the controller heat sinks and the controller case, that grease is there to ensure heat conducts from the controller to the case and fins. Do not get brake clean on that grease or it will wash off.

I have seed a little water in those controllers in bikes that have never been ridden.

Let me know if none of that works, I have new and used motors and controllers.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm gonna try what he said probably tomorrow. I'll let you (and him) know how it goes. You too, okay?

kringle777
Red XM-2000
Moss Green "Charger" ebike
Sacramento, CA

Rebbe

kringle777:

how have you been progressing?

I have been in 'techsupport heck' with x-treme and gotten nowhere. they appear to be convinced it is the HALL sensor...

I am still not on the road...

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Rebbe,

I think everybody says it's the Hall sensor. UsaTracy is just saying that it's likely not the actual sensor that's broken but the wiring or installation of the sensor that is causing the problems.

When you say your in heck with X-Treme (you polite, religious person you!) - what is the problem? I.e. what are they saying you need to do? Replace the entire motor? Or are they simply saying your s.o.l. (that's shorthand for SO out of luck (I don't know any rude words, honest!)).

Sorry we steered you wrong about the batteries. "Diagnosis by forum" isn't always the most reliable way to work!

Kringle,

Have you had any luck with following UsaTracy's suggestions?

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

kringle777
kringle777's picture

Sorry about the delay in response, but I fixed the Hall sensor problem within 10 minutes of actually looking for it. I've been enjoying riding my Charger to work and just never got around to taking the XM-2000 apart.

One of these wires in the Hall sensor leading in the Controller was slightly loose. It wasn't all the way out, but it definitely wasn't all the way in either. So it was getting an intermittent signal. A big thanks to USATracy for having that picture of the scooter disassembly which showed this to be the Hall sensor. I really wouldn't have known otherwise.
IMG_0514.jpg

Runs great now! That is, aside from the fact that I'm gonna need batteries soon. Still on the originals, but boy does it get low fast! Anybody know of any good deals on some quality batteries?

kringle777
Red XM-2000
Moss Green "Charger" ebike
Sacramento, CA

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Kringle - glad you're back on the road again. Hopefully Rebbe can fix his problem as easily?

As far as batteries go: I got a replacement set of Greensaver SP27-12's from Eric at http://www.siliconebatteriesusa.com - $500 for a set delivered (that's $79 per battery plus $20 shipping per battery). I was very happy with his service and with the product. He posts on V as well - so you can support the community by buying from him ;-)

BTW, in case you're concerned that "silicone batteries are crap" bear in mind that the ones fitted to the XM-2000 were labeled "Electier" and were most likely knock-offs - they also sat for a long time in the bike before it was sold. The batteries I bought from Eric are true Greensavers and they're currently doing just fine.

AFAIK, usatracy is also happy with his Greensavers that he bought from Eric. You can find usatracy as "ScooterTech" over on voltsrider.net if you want to ask him his opinion directly. Alas, I wish we could all get along, but apparently we can't.

Happy riding!

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage