Because of our environmental concerns there is talk that OPEC is going to take the USA over. Here is how they say it is going to work.
1) Because we will not drill for out own oil we are vulnerable to outside oil suppliers.
2) OPEC and other countries that do not care about the environment are unrestricted in how much oil they can pull from the ground, but they are not increasing oil output to keep up with demand so as to drive prices up.
3) OPEC is shooting for $200.00 a barrel and if they can drive it higher, so much the better for them.
4) OPEC is getting hundreds of billions of dollars out of the USA right now.
5) OPEC is using this money to fund terrorism, causing the USA to spend hundreds of billions on security and fighting terrorism, trying to bankrupt us.
6) OPEC plans on buying up our core companies over the years that we are at their mercy.
What can we do about the our current dependence on oil?
Our military has been used to keep oil flowing freely. Kicked Sadam out of Kuwait, they patrol certain areas keeping the oil tankers out of harms way. Forced conservation did not work in the 70's, it is being tried all over again, but the only thing that makes the majority of people conserve is higher prices. They could try taxing the hell out of oil, say drive the price up to ten to fifteen dollars a gallon, that would work, but would be political suicide and ruin the economy.
OPEC could very well make a huge mess out of the good old USA, they will have enough money to do it if the prices keep going the way they are going and we still refuse to defend our economy.