Trek 7.3FX Electric conversion(help me)

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
nomad85
Trek 7.3FX Electric conversion(help me)

I just bought my bike its just like this one http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/20 ... h/fx/73fx/ The front fork is an aluminum alloy, stronger than aluminum, not as strong as steel. My wheels are 700c. I have a topeak rack and bag for the battery. I have narrowed my choice down to the Yesa 110U.4820F LifePO4 Battery Pack 48V 20Ah or a Ping duct tape 48v 15Ah pack, these will fit in my bag. I need some help choosing the best motor and controller for my bike. I have been thinking the 406 is the best choice since it gets .97kpv. I just need some reassurance that it will do what I want. I am a pretty strong rider, and I weigh about 160, just need the motor so I'm not sweaty arriving at work which is about 13 miles away. I would like to be able to go at least 30 mph, and have a range of at least 35-40 miles per charge if I get the 20Ah battery (less with the 15Ah) I also considered the Phoenix Cruiser but I am concerned that my frame may not be strong enough. Personally I don't see a rear motor being able to damage a frame, but I may be wrong. Seems like the Yesa pack could power the cruiser, but not the duct tape pack.
What would you do.

andys
andys's picture
Re: Trek 7.3FX Electric conversion(help me)

I keep harping on how great the EV Tech BMC hub has been for me. Its advantages over some of the other hubs are its efficiency, total lack of drag, light weight, and a lot of torque. It is also built with US made bearings, and makes less noise than my tires on the road. With the ping 15AH battery , you'll have at least 25-30 miles range. If you run the BMC hub at 48 volts with 700CC wheels, you'll top 30 MPH. I do 22 MPH with that set up and very small 20 inch wheels (climbs hills like a goat though!) I use the Chrystalite 48 V 20AH controller, and it does not overdraw the amps on the Ping 48V15AH pack. I thought about running the Phoenix 48V 35Amp controller, but I don't think you need that kind of output on a pedal assist EV.

http://www.texaselectricbikes.com/catalog/brushless-geared-motor-p-163.html

If you want to save a bunch of money and don't mind a few MPH less top end, this kit with the 36V 25amp controller is a good set up, and then you'd only need a smaller 36V 15 or 20AH battery to go with it.

andys
andys's picture
Re: Trek 7.3FX Electric conversion(help me)

By the way, Pings duct tape packs have a higher output then Yesa's do in my hands on experience, and are more compact and lighter weight. They can put out a true 2C continuous and 3C peak output, where as Yesa's packs like to do more like 1.5C. His 48V20AH pack with work with a 35amp controller no problem-I run this combo on an electric scooter with a 1000 watt motor.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage