Fans on Z20

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
evthinman
Fans on Z20

I am looking to wire the fans on my Z20a so that they are on anytime the ignition is turned on in an effort to help keep the controller cool during operation in the hot weather. Has anyone done this on their bike?

Weee
Re: Fans on Z20

I don't know about having the fans turn on each time the ignition is turned on, but there is a way to keep the fans going whenever the breaker is turned on. If you take apart the heat sensor and permanently touch the two flat "wires" together, the fans will stay on.

FYI to Z-20/R20 owners - I did hold the sensor under heat and the fans turned on as expected. They also turned off when the heat was turned off.

astar

I think the reason they have the fans off the breaker power instead of the ignition is so that the fan will continue to run after you turn off the bike as long as the thermocouple says it hot. I send my thermocouple back to EVTA when I returned my broken controller, so I don't have one and I'm also thinking of tying it to ignition - or maybe mounting a switch somewhere . . .

ZEV 7100 Alpine
Fort Collins, CO

astar

I tied the fans on my Z20b to the ignition so that they're on whenever the key is on. I have a Kelly controller in there now, so the overheating equation is different for me. I have not gone on any extended rides yet. Still need to get it registered.

ZEV 7100 Alpine
Fort Collins, CO

evthinman

how did you tie the fans to the ignition? thanks

astar

I took a 12v line from the ignition and tied it to one of the wires that used to go to the thermocouple. I had a 12v ignition line going to the contactor I installed, so I just tapped into that. I got that line from the control board in the nose. Details on that are in the Z20b teardown thread (warning - it's a long one).

ZEV 7100 Alpine
Fort Collins, CO

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage